Garretts random winter questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fuck so spent 4h with the bike today and got nowhere.

i was able to re-attach the circlip to the oil pump drive gear which was obviously a huge pain.

but i couldn't get the 'scavanger' pipe for the oil pump back in place with that gromet so i came home and found more pics in how it goes in. i have a better idea now but had to remove the stator cover while there to get a better view.

then the damn kawi o ring won't pop in with the elbow. obviously not a lot of swinging a hammer room under the bike so i used a bottle jack to put some pressure on it and it won't pop all the way in. tried it 6 ways from sunday to get it to pop in.

fucking frustrated.

Ha, this is one of those things that need much practice! I know the pain!
Good luck.

For oring try some silicone spray, its helping a lot.

Doesn't look all that bad to me on the marks. The "CUP" is to help cut down on oil foaming with the returned oil.

Sean
Some time ago i was traceing that cup channels and it seems thats related to crankcase vaccum venting, huh?

Garrett, I went to bed thinking I was "going to bed" and my wife went to bed. Turned out to be a disappointing night for me. Now here I am reading about your misadventures again. Good luck. I'm having a hard time seeing whats going on in that photo of the oring, almost looks like its in to me?? Mine was tough to get in too. I'd loosen up the galley bolts, and put the pan on and tighten it up a little at a time. Mine popped right in that way. Maybe someone will have some input.

I think Dave went through something similar as he just changed to a kawi oring too. Maybe he has a better idea.

i can't do the pan trick with the oil pump i realized tho b/c the main oil line is lower than the eblow is!

the galley bolts are loose btw.

I like the sec pic!
I never understand when poeple are that touchy about bolt's order.
I never cared about that :)

Striped? Dang bro you need to stop those weight pulling LOL
Heli coil is good but some metal epoxy and re-thread is much better.

thats the worst part, i only torqued them to 10 Nm! i'm hoping the extra 10mm on the thread will cure this and just never speak of it again.

do you mean like jbweld the hole shut then re-tap it?

Ha, this is one of those things that need much practice! I know the pain!
Good luck.

For oring try some silicone spray, its helping a lot.

Some time ago i was traceing that cup channels and it seems thats related to crankcase vaccum venting, huh?

i finally got it. I had to put the pipe thru the hole it goes in then attach the rubber thing to it and slowly work it sideways back in. almost was thinking I had to remove the flywheel!

i will try some silicone spray, i was thinking that oil would be enough!

i can't do the pan trick with the oil pump i realized tho b/c the main oil line is lower than the eblow is!

the galley bolts are loose btw.

Huh? Are you saying there is a pipe that is lower than the bottom of the elbow (with bumper on the elbow)?? That doesn't sound right. The oil pan should contact the bottom of the elbow and keep it wedged up in there.

Huh? Are you saying there is a pipe that is lower than the bottom of the elbow (with bumper on the elbow)?? That doesn't sound right. The oil pan should contact the bottom of the elbow and keep it wedged up in there.

looks a lot like this pic... see the pipe coming of the pump looks lower... :ummm:

http://www.vmaxforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=18664&d=1291777846

i'm gonna try the oil pan trick without the pump on tho, so if i can get it to pop in then deal with the oil pump mounting bolts.

YIKES!!! I'm next on deck to do this upgrade and I don't like the sound of this thread!! :biglaugh:

Garrett, when your blood pressure comes back down a bit, how about a recap of what you learned here.

Yeah I know it's like cheating off your paper in school for the test but.........HELL i'll pay you for it......WTF......(in my best David Lee Roth immitation) :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Garrett, I feel bad for you man. Everything that could go wrong did!

Other than not having the right snap ring pliers I didn't have any real problems. The elbow was tough to get in but putting the oil pan on and tightening the screws popped it right in for me :confused2: Only thing different on mine is that I had my old COO plastic button instead of the rubber damper for the bottom of the elbow and I put in all the pan screws not just the corners.

A bit of the kawi ring did get shaved off when it went it but it wasn't much. I sent a pic to Sean and he said it was nothing to worry about.

Probably should have taken good notes during the install to help out anyone else. I have a few things noted but not much. Might be a good time to come up with a how to for this for anyone interested.

YIKES!!! I'm next on deck to do this upgrade and I don't like the sound of this thread!! :biglaugh:

Garrett, when your blood pressure comes back down a bit, how about a recap of what you learned here.

Yeah I know it's like cheating off your paper in school for the test but.........HELL i'll pay you for it......WTF......(in my best David Lee Roth immitation) :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

r u doing the oil pressure bypass washer too?

Garrett, I feel bad for you man. Everything that could go wrong did!

Other than not having the right snap ring pliers I didn't have any real problems. The elbow was tough to get in but putting the oil pan on and tightening the screws popped it right in for me :confused2: Only thing different on mine is that I had my old COO plastic button instead of the rubber damper for the bottom of the elbow and I put in all the pan screws not just the corners.

A bit of the kawi ring did get shaved off when it went it but it wasn't much. I sent a pic to Sean and he said it was nothing to worry about.

Probably should have taken good notes during the install to help out anyone else. I have a few things noted but not much. Might be a good time to come up with a how to for this for anyone interested.
\

haha. well i'm glad to report that i was able to put a 30mm button head bolt in there and torqued it to 80 in lbs. the other 2 oil pump mounting bolts went in without any issues too. i also put 30 mm in there for those.

spent the rest of my 5 hours trying to get that elbow in

tried silicone spray, heat, cold etc everything to get it to fit. i kno wi'm doing it right b/c if i put the oem ring back in it pops right in.

i tried tapping it with a 2lb mini-sledge lightly but theres not a lot of swinging room under there.

even tried the bottle jack again but it just lifts up th efront end, altho i can pick up the front end with one hand so i don't think its putting that much pressure on it.

if i put the oil pan on and most the bolts it just bolts in and i think puts the pressure on the little rubber nub instead of pushing the elbow back in. I wish i had a spare COO button to pu ton that as i bet that would do it. i was thinking of putting some washers against the pan but i can't think of how to get them to stay.

I assume I can't run the HD oiling kit with an oem o-ring eh?

also read dave's writeup looks like he had smiliar problems, not sure i feel comfortable prying against the delivery pipe!

oh. and on top of it all the bolts on my starter clutch are loose! fuck. oh well, time to ask sean about that too.

You need thiner o-ring. One is not matched to the other, either elbow or hole in the engine case.

Stock o-ring is about 16x2,5mm or so if I remember right. Messure inside and wall thickness of oring, go to the seals shop and buy 0,5mm thiner wall one.
Orings are fabricated in steps of 0,5mm.
Never saw imperial sized o-rings?

All of those stories about oval oring dosent suits me. IMHO elbow needs to be matched to engine case more precisely, more tight I would say which oval orings provides.

Another way is to take the elbow to the machine shop and shave the groove for oring about 0,5mm.

You need thiner o-ring. One is not matched to the other, either elbow or hole in the engine case.

Stock o-ring is about 16x2,5mm or so if I remember right. Messure inside and wall thickness of oring, go to the seals shop and buy 0,5mm thiner wall one.
Orings are fabricated in steps of 0,5mm.
Never saw imperial sized o-rings?

All of those stories about oval oring dosent suits me. IMHO elbow needs to be matched to engine case more precisely, more tight I would say which oval orings provides.

Another way is to take the elbow to the machine shop and shave the groove for oring about 0,5mm.

we don't really have a good supply of o-rings out here, hardware stores are about it and they have minimal selections but its worth looking at.

your machining of the elbow 0.5mm is not a bad idea, that might be $50 tho.

can you re-phrase your thoughts on an oval oring. You said it fits better but doesn't suit you?

we don't really have a good supply of o-rings out here, hardware stores are about it and they have minimal selections but its worth looking at.

your machining of the elbow 0.5mm is not a bad idea, that might be $50 tho.

can you re-phrase your thoughts on an oval oring. You said it fits better but doesn't suit you?

I was trying to say(of course with problems as usual :rofl_200:) that, the theory about oval oring betterness is not tru, IMHO.
I bealive that kawi oring is simply one size bigger.
Does it hold better? I will stay sceptical.

What will happen when you will put an oval oring onto round shape?

I have a beautiful shop here: bearings, oil seals(simmering's as they should be called), orings, belts bla bla in any size you can imagine.
Orings form rubber, silicone and viton as you wish.
More then that each one of above is avaible form couple manufacters, cheapo and expansive ones.

Cant be!
Did I just found a one better thing in PL then in USA? :rofl_200:

Garrett, what is the size o-ring you think would fit? Give me the dimensions, I have a possible source I can check for you.

i'll have to measure tonight.

I was trying to say(of course with problems as usual :rofl_200:) that, the theory about oval oring betterness is not tru, IMHO.
I bealive that kawi oring is simply one size bigger.
Does it hold better? I will stay sceptical.

What will happen when you will put an oval oring onto round shape?

I have a beautiful shop here: bearings, oil seals(simmering's as they should be called), orings, belts bla bla in any size you can imagine.
Orings form rubber, silicone and viton as you wish.
More then that each one of above is avaible form couple manufacters, cheapo and expansive ones.

Cant be!
Did I just found a one better thing in PL then in USA? :rofl_200:

Look what I just found!!!

http://www.futurebearings.com/main.htm

its a 1/2 mile from the main bike shop i use. now just to get out of work on time!

Common, thats a scam!
You just created that website didnt ya? :rofl_200:

haha don't make fun of the shitty website, at least they have one!

Ho ho!! I can see some big advantages here....great find Garrett!! :clapping:

def, should be someone knowledgeable there. now to get to thebike, grab the elbow and get a measurement of the inside hole.

Back