Hand grip question..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F100Panel

Reaction score
Taconic Valley, NE NY I can almost Spit into NY Ma
I feel stupid asking this but knowing before hand is better than figuring it out after you break it.. My hands ache with the stock hand grips. Arthritis in the fingers/they don't close the way they use to:confused2: I'm thinking about trying a set of those oversize coke bottle shaped hand grips that were popular on the Italian bikes in the 60's. They come in 7/8th's handlebar size which looks right and quite common on Ebay for about $17 with the shipping.. My question is twofold. Has anyone ever tried these on a Yamaha AND how do you get the stock hand grips off? Those chrome end caps have me baffled:bang head:

If you want big grips, go with the Kuryakyn ones. They're VERY large. Of course the foam ones are large too.

Chris

i I HAVE HAD MY CHROME CAPS OFF 10 TIMES , TAKE A ROLL OF BLACK ELECTRICAL TAPE AND WRAP THEM 10 TIMES AROUND , THEN GRAB THEM WITH CHANNEL LOCKS , ONLY AS HARD AS NECESSARY , AS YOU START TWISTING IT CLOCK-WISE , PULL SLIGHTLY TOWARD YOUR CHEST , ONCE IT STARTS TWISTING THEY COME OUT PRETTY EASY , AND THEY TAP WRIGHT BACK IN WITH A RAG AND RUBBER MALLET !

I feel stupid asking this but knowing before hand is better than figuring it out after you break it.. My hands ache with the stock hand grips. Arthritis in the fingers/they don't close the way they use to:confused2: I'm thinking about trying a set of those oversize coke bottle shaped hand grips that were popular on the Italian bikes in the 60's. They come in 7/8th's handlebar size which looks right and quite common on Ebay for about $17 with the shipping.. My question is twofold. Has anyone ever tried these on a Yamaha AND how do you get the stock hand grips off? Those chrome end caps have me baffled:bang head:

Is it a dull ache but all over? Whole hand like you have been swinging a 6 lb hammer all day or a buzzing, tingling feeling? I have several family members who have the former and that was cured by heated grips, where as the tingle would be better addressed by a looser grip on the bar(when not WOT) or an iso-grip from aftermarket. It might be as simple as you holding a death grip on the bar unawares even when you are cruising. I would also mention that if the pain runs down the inside of your wrist, from thumb to forearm you might look less at the grips themselves and more at the angle of the grips on the bar. The angle isn't so bad on wider bars but given the shortness of the overall length may be turning your wrists out too far. You can check this by getting a firm grip on the handle bar with your thumb and forefinger butted up against the center side of the grip and note any over tightness in your forearm.

Hope you find your solution soon and don't come to dread rides of more then moderate length!

End caps? Pull like hell, and twist... like cop runner said..just don't pull your bike over or fall on your ass when they come off.:rofl_200:

Kuryakyn Iso-Grips are a great option, they really do work.....thier chrome is kinda piss poor quality tho' It flakes off on the end caps eventually..

Ergonomics is another issue, as well as your grip, I've been riding a long time and still have to tell myself to ease up on the grip sometimes.....

I put a set of Pro-Taper Carmicheal Bend SE Series dirt bike bars on my max and the ergonomics are perfect for me, 6' with arms like a Baboon.

Plus the crossbar seemed to eliminate the last bit of vibration I had, Woulda thought exactly the opposite, but apparently the bars vibrating were amplifying the chassis vibration. Making them even more solid with the cross bar lessened it..???

I run Pro-Grip 714's on all of my bikes. Was just downstairs eyein the newest addition to the family, my '95 Vmax with stock grips. Going to run the Pro-Grip 714's on that as well. Doesn't look fantastic, but is comfortable and great for my large hands.

I have had Progrip gomma grips for 3 years, they are grippy and do not show any visible wear. I have solid motor mounts so there is more vibration that shows in the mirrors but I have not noticed it in the grips. I also have Flanders bars (31.5") and bar end weights.

+1 on the Pro Grips, I have the 699 and previously had the 719. Both are good, but they are a smaller OD, so that might not work for you. Bonus is they are pretty cheap.

These look excellent.
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=TUC_17-0992_G

Contrary to the conversation going on above, these appear to be THIN. In my case, hand fatigue on the bars is actually caused by the grips being too large of a diameter for my hands. When I
m able to use a smaller grip my hands fall more naturally on the bars and I feel much more in control.

These look excellent.
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=TUC_17-0992_G

Contrary to the conversation going on above, these appear to be THIN. In my case, hand fatigue on the bars is actually caused by the grips being too large of a diameter for my hands. When I
m able to use a smaller grip my hands fall more naturally on the bars and I feel much more in control.

I agree with you on the smaller grips, that is part of the reason I like the progrips. With the price of the pro grips it would probably be worth it just to try those first.

My issue I believe lies in the diameter of the grip... the fingers just don't close like they use to.. When I go to give blood & they ask me to make a fist I have to grab 3 fingers from the other hand:damn angry:. I'm pretty certain the grip diameter is the issue... It's not the poor ergonomics of the bike, it happens on friends bikes too... The grip puppies are interesting but I think the grips I'm looking at have a larger diameter

Honda Gran Turismo Grips CM400 CM450 CM400A CM450E CM | eBay

Yep, The D3's we both sell are one of my Favorite grips. Many colors to pick from (I've got a few on hand but there are too many options to stock them all).

Sean

I had the opposite problem. I put the Kuryakyn ISO's on when I first got the bike. Super comfy but the diameter was too big for my hands. Now I run the D3's that I got from Sean. Smaller diameter by quite a bit. The Kuryakyn's really eliminated the vibrations and the throttle boss that is available helps out on long trips.

Well, after the tip in how to get the bar ends off and then a little trimming & I think they look pretty good... After a trip I'm convinced I got the issue of hand ache bettered. Not perfect but MUCH better with the larger diameter grips & they are cushy...:punk:

Back