Just added a V-Max to the stable

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71olds

Reaction score
I need another bike like I need herpes but when I saw this pop up on Craiglist I had to have it.

Always wanted one but back in the 80's I was all about the sportbike's then but I remember drag racing one on my 87 GSXR1100 & it had me until the end if 2nd gear & at the time my GSXR was the fastest thing in town.

Well it needs a little work & is dusty but is all there & runs She is a 85 came with a spare motor & a box of spare parts from a front end to rear shocks

Here she is covered in dust as the owner was sanding his 57 chevy down to bare metal
IMG_20150306_193253761_zpsc8xo4mbk.jpg

Was dark when I unloaded it at home will clean it up & then the work begins

Nice find! Now to clean her up and get some beauty shots of it!

Looks like it needs a little love with some pieces , but have you had it down the road yet?

What color is your 14? Mine is Sapphire Blue. :)

Nice find! Now to clean her up and get some beauty shots of it!

Looks like it needs a little love with some pieces , but have you had it down the road yet?

What color is your 14? Mine is Sapphire Blue. :)

I think mine is Sapphire Blue also

Looks black unless under light

2012-05-30_19-37-43_147.jpg

As for the V-Max I paid 1150 for everything It needs love but is all there & was ridden regularly. but lived outside in the summers

Sapphire blue is a one only special color, just fyi.

$1150.... running vmax, I wouldn't turn that down either. There would be a 7th vmax parked in my shop lol.

The GSXR1100 was my arch nemesis when I was drag racing my 85 V-Max in the 90's I went head to head with one every weekend for years. I would always beat his pants off 3/4 of the way down the track and when we crossed the line he was always walking away on the top end.....,I wish I had the Max I'm building now back then :)

Nice Find !
Be sure to post more pictures after you get it cleaned up.

Nice find... I pick up 2005 vmax about month ago....

Took her for a ride today...:eusa_dance:

When I bought her it was 4 degrees out & every road was covered in ice but for the price I took the risk.

Messed with her the other day but the back left carb was leaking fuel when running so I never got her out of the driveway.

Today I fired her up carb started to leak rapped on the carb with a small hammer a couple of times & it stopped took her for a spin & could not be happier It is only about 30 out & there is still a lot of sand on the road so had to take it easy but I have to assume 2nd hear is good as it pulled strong enough to roast the rear tire at about 5000 rpm (like I said cold & sandy) did about 3 miles not much but enough to warm it up & get to the point where she pulls very cleanly after about 2500 rpm . is bogging a little below not not bad I may get away with not cleaning the carbs :biglaugh:

Now that I know she is solid its time to orde some parts

Quick question what pressure should I keep the forks at??

Great news to hear she a clean running bike. Most, myself included, run 0 air pressure in the forks. But if you do want to try some air the max is 15 psi, and using a hand pump is recommended since running too much air pressure can lead to trouble with the fork seals.

Very nice, welcome to the forum!!
:biglaugh:

Welcome to the forum and our addiction. Looks like you lucked out with the carbs actually working enough to get you down the road for a test drive. Many have issues with their carbs and bike with a lot more TLC than yours seems to have had.

The budget Max is almost done

Needed lots of tlc It lived outside a mile from the ocean and the aluminum was so oxidized so I decided to to a rattle an resto....

Should have taken more before pics as she was a mess

But here we go

Before (the only pic I took)
IMG_20150306_193253761_zpsc8xo4mbk.jpg

After (all told with the parts I sold that it came with I am in it $1066.00)

IMG_20150512_193256994_zpsqmpv88om.jpg

IMG_20150512_193315496_zpsluxbgbdk.jpg

IMG_20150512_193325803_zps6l8puuyl.jpg

IMG_20150512_193332813_zpsju9qzwz7.jpg

IMG_20150512_193410712_zpsshx6klfa.jpg

IMG_20150512_193417803_zpsp7dm1ior.jpg

Back