largest tire that will fit a stock rim on a gen 1 vmax?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowmaxalot

Reaction score
does anyone know what the largest tire i can fit on the back of my 93 vmax i thought it might of been 170/80/15 but i cant remember i really dont want to buy a tire and have it not fit. if someone could let me know that'd be great! thanx everyone and happy rideing!!!! spring is hear woooooohoooooooooooooo!!!

Actually Spring is HERE... lol

170/80-15 I believe is right. 180 will fit but isn't recommended.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

170 will fit without much issue. Metzeler's seem to run a tad wider than Shinkos, as a couple people reported slight clearance issues with the ME880 but I haven't heard any with the shinko.

180 is really pushing it. Probably gonna rub at least a little.

I think most people here run a 170/80, in either the Metz ME880 or Shinko T230.

Metz= more expensive, less sticky, lasts longer
Shinko=el cheapo, very sticky, wears quickly, and often they take a TON of weight to balance. You can almost buy 2 Shinko's for the price of one Metz.

I sure some of you long time max owners know this, but perhaps those new to the vmax experience may not: Fat Tire Installation

But I do have some questions. This "moving of the washer"--any disadvantages, consequences, structural integrity issues? I know the article closes with saying "Nah don't worry about it", but that's just one person's observation. I'm wondering what this forum thinks. Does doing this make enough room so you can fit a 170, or can you fit a 170 without doing this, and doing this gives the 170 some room to expand under use? Will this make enough room for the 180s and their expansion under use?

Thanx for the link ninjaneer, I'm going with the Metzler 170. Being less sticky, maybe I can avoid a lot of grief. Wheelies can be very expensive now...:rofl_200:

170 will fit without much issue. Metzeler's seem to run a tad wider than Shinkos, as a couple people reported slight clearance issues with the ME880 but I haven't heard any with the shinko.

180 is really pushing it. Probably gonna rub at least a little.

I think most people here run a 170/80, in either the Metz ME880 or Shinko T230.

Metz= more expensive, less sticky, lasts longer
Shinko=el cheapo, very sticky, wears quickly, and often they take a TON of weight to balance. You can almost buy 2 Shinko's for the price of one Metz.

You can add to the Shinko : Inconsistent .

I sure some of you long time max owners know this, but perhaps those new to the vmax experience may not: Fat Tire Installation

But I do have some questions. This "moving of the washer"--any disadvantages, consequences, structural integrity issues? I know the article closes with saying "Nah don't worry about it", but that's just one person's observation. I'm wondering what this forum thinks. Does doing this make enough room so you can fit a 170, or can you fit a 170 without doing this, and doing this gives the 170 some room to expand under use? Will this make enough room for the 180s and their expansion under use?
170 fits fine without alteration. Speaking for myself, I won't do a washer swap to run a wider tire. I'm sure it's been done with out a problem, but more offset, less spline engaement, no thanks. I've seen 180's fit stock swingarms too, but think that's pushing it. I've got a 170 shinko with aprox 1/8 inch of clearance, everything stock. Used to run, a few yrs. ago, Metzler Marathons on a different bike and liked them. I'll take a Shinko over the Dunlaps the factory used anytime.
Steve-o

When I was running the stock rim I ran 170/80-15 and 180/70-15 both, several different brands.

The 180 looked close but still didn't touch, Consider;.... when it's stationery it's as close as it ever going to be, the tire doesn't get wider at speed, it gets narrower.

I never had a problem with either of the fitting; and never had to do the washer swap either.

Howe many doing the washer swap ACTUALLY tried to put it on the right way first?? I bet many are doing it with need.

Then again maybe my swingarm was a freak...:confused2:

Moving the washer to shift the tire kind of messes up the design for the rear end...there's less spline area engaged and you're messing up the alignment slightly...so you'll "crab"...the back wheel isn't in line with the front.

Try it without moving the washer first. The 170 fits on mine fine, washer where it's supposed to be, and I can freely slip a quarter in the clearance. 2 quarters won't fit though.... so imagine slightly thicker than a quarter.

I just put 170 on mine no prob i can fit prob 3 qauters:clapping:....................... still smokes the sh$% out of the 170 just like the 150

Hey Bill, next time we get together you'll have to school me on the fine art of 2nd gear smokers!..................

I have the 180 shinko its a good tire handles well really grips good. I would buy another

Just had a dunlop k555 170/80 15 mounted yesterday and had only one small problem re-installing the tire, the brake caliper bleeder screw was a tight squeeze past the fatter sidewall. No other issues, plenty of clearence & washer in the original location.

I moved the washer for the first 3 Metzlers with no adverse effects. I thought I'd try it this time without moving it 'cause I kept dropping the %#$@ washer. It fits just fine.

Hey Bill, next time we get together you'll have to school me on the fine art of 2nd gear smokers!..................
hey tom when ever youre ready.:eusa_dance: i am prob going to need a new tire in the next month if i dont quit i should of bought two like you said:punk: sure is fun. hey you going to go to the blessing.:biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back