Moved to the 'wide side'

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsyv12

Reaction score
Here's my latest creation. High, Fat and probably bordering on daft.
Pictures speak for themselves but to clarify, 300 rear, 240 front. Underslung exhaust, Whole bike lifted 2", larger fuel tank. Beautiful paint job:rofl_200:.
Lots more to do but I just wanted to get on the road for this year and test it out before ripping it apart next Christmas.

It rides well, corners better than expected and I love it!!:biglaugh:

Attachments

• May 2014 014.jpg
    May 2014 014.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 211
  • May 2014 015.jpg
    May 2014 015.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 185
  • May 2014 018.jpg
    May 2014 018.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 208
  • May 2014 020.jpg
    May 2014 020.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 197
  • May 2014 022.jpg
    May 2014 022.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 173
  • May 2014 024.jpg
    May 2014 024.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 163
I have to agree. Ok for the work but just not my personal liking for the visual looks.

The front fender gets me…

Other than that the bike looks good. I like how you got it all to work together and look as it does. I like it!!!

Sorry mate but that front fender is fugly. You are using a MADMAX rear swing?
Is it maybe a Fisher(sp?) swingarm? Not sure I'd want the front fender on my Vmax but if it's what he likes it's ok with me! I'd be interested to ride a wide tire'd Vmax, maybe it would something I like!

Definitley looks ready for battle. I like it.
Got it in one chap:clapping:
I Know it's not to everones taste but then I don't conform to the norm. Everything I've done so far is to get the look I was after and not to follow convention, after all there's more Max's out there that have been made in to a muscle streetfighter than you can shake a stick at.
If I could find some tyres that have a more offroad look then I'll be buying them.
Watch this space :biglaugh:

you should get one of the "BigWheel" TW200 emblems from Yamaha.

What's it like to ride? How wide are the wheels?

Answer a few questions -
No it's not loud, deep yes but not 'stupidly loud'. There's a hidden collector box above the can and basically inside the swingingarm space (swing arm is 50mm longer than original). Took an age to route all the pipe work and get it all it fit but it was worth it. It's all stainless too.

What does it ride like - Obviously not 'flickable' but suprisingly good, maybe could do with a steering damper because at illegal speeds on a rough/bumpy and bendy road it will wobble a little.....but then so will a standard max:biglaugh: Overall I love it to ride.

Swingarm is a FatMAx unit which has a gearbox in the swingarm to give the offset (to keep the rear wheel central). I've modified the back wheel so it now has a cush drive due to the previous owner of the swinging arm breaking internal gears. Hopefully this has resolved the issue. If not then some harder gears maybe required (if available), basically the swingarm internals are all from a gen1 vmax.

I made the fuel tank 3lts bigger, which is useful, due to the space made available by the longer swingarm.

Rear wheel is 11.5 or 12x18 (not sure) and front wheel is a Harley Night rod special 8" x18 rear wheel I had laying about....now it's a front wheel :biglaugh:

Whether that is my style bike or not doesn't matter, there is some very nice custom work done on that max - great job!

Mike

Here's my latest creation. High, Fat and probably bordering on daft.
Pictures speak for themselves but to clarify, 300 rear, 240 front. Underslung exhaust, Whole bike lifted 2", larger fuel tank. Beautiful paint job:rofl_200:.
Lots more to do but I just wanted to get on the road for this year and test it out before ripping it apart next Christmas.

It rides well, corners better than expected and I love it!!:biglaugh:

nice custom work!! what thickness is that fork brace? looks pretty flimsy if I were you id be making a stiffer one first may help handling but that's just from the picture it just doesn't look tough enough. I see your new. you maybe able to learn some from weasels posts. I have yet to look threw his whole tread on his wide maxes:punk:

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=15595

Sorry mate but that front fender is fugly. You are using a MADMAX rear swing?

I don't know if your opinion counts when it come to wide tires on a max because theres nothing in the world that ive seen that compares to yeti and grizzly :rofl_200:

Your quite right Matt the fork brace isn't enough. It's currently 8mm ally plate because that's what I had. As I previously mentioned I just wanted to get it on the road and so it was a 'That'll do for now' type thing. I will be sorting that out plus solid engine mounts once the bike is off the road later in the year, there will be loads of other jobs I wanna to for sure too.
I've just moved house and currently my workshop equipment and tools and in a lock up until my garage/workshop is built, so it's gonna be a 4 or 5 months until I'm set up again:bang head:

Your quite right Matt the fork brace isn't enough. It's currently 8mm ally plate because that's what I had. As I previously mentioned I just wanted to get it on the road and so it was a 'That'll do for now' type thing. I will be sorting that out plus solid engine mounts once the bike is off the road later in the year, there will be loads of other jobs I wanna to for sure too.
I've just moved house and currently my workshop equipment and tools and in a lock up until my garage/workshop is built, so it's gonna be a 4 or 5 months until I'm set up again:bang head:

Oh now that sucks! Well looks like you have a fun interesting project going on. Cant wait to see progression pictures

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thats tough as nails! I hope you love it. Theres some time and skinned knuckles in that bike!

Back