Newbie...BLOWN AWAY

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those tubes are your float bowl drains, I'm no expert, but I would think the Peashooter/Shotgun cleaning methods would work the same on your carbs................You are aware the 97s were the fastest Gen 1s produced!!..............:punk:................Tom.

Say Bee,
How's it going? Thanks for explaining. So, I am to understand that all VMAX have those tubes sticking out there, right?

Jack

Yes, the bowl drain tubes are stock.

135 is huge, you've got the best running stage 7 out there or there's more done to the motor than you might be aware of. Some dyno's can be considered "friendly", but even still that's a great number. Considering a stock bike is in the 112-114 range.

If the bike is pushing 130+ hp and subjectively runs fine, there's no need to mess with the peashooter or shotgun. Your mega-dose of sea-foam probably cleared up any minor blockages you had.

You might peruse my FAQ which can answer a lot of your questions to come.

I have PCW engine. For shits and giggles to find out there will be numbers etched on the back of engine by exhaust I believe it is..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

The bike only had 16,000 miles on it. Thank you for the good advice about leaving well enough alone. I only wonder if the idle cruising speed 2 to 10 miles an hour is supposed to be herky-jerky. After I warm it up the first and second gears idling speed less than 10 or 15 miles an hour is very torquey...like a thump, thump, thump from a small block 350. I have to rev higher and run the clutch halfway. Is this normal for our beastly machine? LIke my tall gearing on my V65, it handles just fine at walking traffic speed. It just idles and purrrrrrs foward. The VMAX beast may not have a slow or even rhythm? Shold I adjust the idle screw...if one exist. Should I just go ahead and clean the carbs?
Jack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What is your idle speed at when fully warmed up and in neutral?.............Should be at 1K or so.........My old V-65 was a smooth performer too, the Max has a slightly lumpy idle, sounds like Rick "Twistedmax" is fairly close, he's a knowledgeable Max owner himself, he could tell you if it's running right...................Tom.

What is your idle speed at when fully warmed up and in neutral?.............Should be at 1K or so.........My old V-65 was a smooth performer too, the Max has a slightly lumpy idle, sounds like Rick "Twistedmax" is fairly close, he's a knowledgeable Max owner himself, he could tell you if it's running right...................Tom.

Yeah but I'd have to take it for a burnout,,,,,,,,,,,,I mean ride to tell for sure. but yeah Were close I can meet him some where local.

Your idle should be somewhere around 1000rpm when warmed up. There's a thumb screw on the left side between the front and rear carbs to adjust it.

Worked up motors often times have some slight quirks in their driveability. The vmax in general has a fairly lopey idle and will "chug" a lot if you load it up too much below 2500rpm or so. Keep in mind this isn't a brand new buttery smooth sport-tourer, you're on a muscle bike from the 80's so some "character" from the motor is to be expected (and a lot of the appeal).

Your idle should be somewhere around 1000rpm when warmed up. There's a thumb screw on the left side between the front and rear carbs to adjust it.

Worked up motors often times have some slight quirks in their driveability. The vmax in general has a fairly lopey idle and will "chug" a lot if you load it up too much below 2500rpm or so. Keep in mind this isn't a brand new buttery smooth sport-tourer, you're on a muscle bike from the 80's so some "character" from the motor is to be expected (and a lot of the appeal).

That character is exactly why I bought the bike in the first place. So many guys on BMWs saying, "it's nice...and smooth, but boring." I want something that has attitude on account that I don't exactly pussy foot my way through life. So, this bike fits me.

And TwistedMAX, I ride about 10K miles from this point to December. Please give me a ring anytime.

Jack
978 340 4600

The bike only had 16,000 miles on it. Thank you for the good advice about leaving well enough alone. I only wonder if the idle cruising speed 2 to 10 miles an hour is supposed to be herky-jerky. After I warm it up the first and second gears idling speed less than 10 or 15 miles an hour is very torquey...like a thump, thump, thump from a small block 350. I have to rev higher and run the clutch halfway. Is this normal for our beastly machine? LIke my tall gearing on my V65, it handles just fine at walking traffic speed. It just idles and purrrrrrs foward. The VMAX beast may not have a slow or even rhythm? Shold I adjust the idle screw...if one exist. Should I just go ahead and clean the carbs?
Jack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a dynojet stage 7 jet kit with open vboost, it can be a bit difficult to dial it it nice and smooth below 2000 rpm. I have my vboost contoller setup on a manual switch. If I'm going to be in slow trafifc I close the butterflies and it makes a noticeable difference in low rpm rideability. Open the butterflies up and it can be a bit jerky at low rpm if the throttle is just barely touched. I'm sure some fine tuning would help.

Remove the chrome 'H' from both sides (seen in the pic just below the round diaphragm covers) look under the left front carb (#2) and the right rear carb (#3)....there is a flat spot in the casting just below the intake runners.......are there any numbers scribed on that flat? Probly a 4 digit number...

Attachments

• 100_3171.jpg
    100_3171.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 18
If you have a dynojet stage 7 jet kit with open vboost, it can be a bit difficult to dial it it nice and smooth below 2000 rpm. I have my vboost contoller setup on a manual switch. If I'm going to be in slow trafifc I close the butterflies and it makes a noticeable difference in low rpm rideability. Open the butterflies up and it can be a bit jerky at low rpm if the throttle is just barely touched. I'm sure some fine tuning would help.

Same set up I have Mike, love that pro-modish idle....scares the shit out of the harley guys....but it is a bit lumpy in traffic.

That's just what I wanted to know. Nothing worse than a newbie riding around with a problem and not know it, further damaging wrongness. But from what you are saying, our beastly machine just have a chug, chug.

But that two way switch (one and off) should make a difference in slow speed idling. I will try the "off" when idling in traffic. The reason why I think it should be smoother is because it idles down to nothing when going into a turn, then, I can seamlessly ease on the throttle to WOT coming out the turn. It makes me think that the carb can be controlled.

For now, I'm appreciative for your reassurance that I'm not messing things up. I will enjoy my fine ride. By the way, no more white smoke...now that I have filled up to times and diluted the whole can that I dumped in, which was the big can by the way. Anyways, it works great.

Jack

That's just what I wanted to know. Nothing worse than a newbie riding around with a problem and not know it, further damaging wrongness. But from what you are saying, our beastly machine just have a chug, chug.

But that two way switch (one and off) should make a difference in slow speed idling. I will try the "off" when idling in traffic. The reason why I think it should be smoother is because it idles down to nothing when going into a turn, then, I can seamlessly ease on the throttle to WOT coming out the turn. It makes me think that the carb can be controlled.

For now, I'm appreciative for your reassurance that I'm not messing things up. I will enjoy my fine ride. By the way, no more white smoke...now that I have filled up to times and diluted the whole can that I dumped in, which was the big can by the way. Anyways, it works great.

Jack

Pretty sure the switch you're talking about is a v boost controller switch and the 'on' position may open the boost at 3K rpms and won't affect your low speed roughness, but need a pic of the set up under the left side scoop to see what's there.

when i run vboost on at lower rpms its definitely a little jerkier and needs about 1250 rpms to idle vs the 1000-1100 stock wants.

also welcome jack, i said hi in the welcome thread but i'm a bit down the road in franklin. drove thru orange and such on my way up to americade this year. if i can help with anything lemme know as well.

Thanks Garmor, Franklin is right down 495. Thanks for the reception. I may take you up on learning points. I am ALL IN in terms of becoming a expert at the VMAX. Slow but sure...I guess.

Thanks. I will not worry about the chugging down low.

Jack

Thanks Garmor, Franklin is right down 495. Thanks for the reception. I may take you up on learning points. I am ALL IN in terms of becoming a expert at the VMAX. Slow but sure...I guess.

Thanks. I will not worry about the chugging down low.

Jack

does it go away when you turn the switch the other way. 'chugging' i'd say isn't good, like choppy, but just not as 'smooth' is probably fine. hard to describe would have to see it.

i have a tire changer too i try to help out local folks. if you need anything let one of us massholes know.

Back