Newbie...BLOWN AWAY

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update: Thanks for chimming in regarding the idle walking speed chug a lug....
I idle at 1,100

Hey Garrett, you have a tire machine!!! Wpw. That just makes you my new bestest buddy. My mechanic refuses to let me bring the tire and wheel in. He said, it's just not worth his while unless he can make money on both tire purchase AND install. My last Avon from him cost 259 Venom Rear and 189 Venom Front. Another 60 to mount and balance.
He always talks to everyone like the "village idiot" too. So, when I hear of opportunities to become independent of his bs, then, I would sure appreciate it.

Re: I just tried the switch off. No turbo sound, and a little less power, and i think that closes the butterfly flippers. And yes, it's better, but I do not think it's right. If I had to go thru long miles of traffic, it would be bad. I will make a video or ....how's about the next time you go riding around, let me know, and I'll come down to ride with you?

Jack

Last edited:
This makes sense, I still have not downloaded a manual, can you point me in the right direction where the filter is located?

Jack

Under the seat....you don't need a yamaha filter either just a regular off the shelf 3/8" fuel filter

Update: Thanks for chimming in regarding the idle walking speed chug a lug....
I idle at 1,100

Hey Garrett, you have a tire machine!!! Wpw. That just makes you my new bestest buddy. My mechanic refuses to let me bring the tire and wheel in. He said, it's just not worth his while unless he can make money on both tire purchase AND install. My last Avon from him cost 259 Venom Rear and 189 Venom Front. Another 60 to mount and balance.
He always talks to everyone like the "village idiot" too. So, when I hear of opportunities to become independent of his bs, then, I would sure appreciate it.

Re: I just tried the switch off. No turbo sound, and a little less power, and i think that closes the butterfly flippers. And yes, it's better, but I do not think it's right. If I had to go thru long miles of traffic, it would be bad. I will make a video or ....how's about the next time you go riding around, let me know, and I'll come down to ride with you?

Jack

i work out of hopkinton so maybe we could meet up quick one night for a bite or something. I know mark (lakeville) and the springfield guys (mike and rick) have been bugging me to get out. i have a 21 mo old and another one due in august so i get busy. plus rugby and restoring an '89 NT650.

anyways for tires, anytime you need something shoot me a message. PM, email (morgan.ga(at)gmail.com) or call 774.292.104(nine).

for comparison i could have gotten the following:

150-170 rear: $165-$170 (AM42)

(AM41):
100 front: ~$130
120 front: ~$140

i usually have people bring me tires off the bike but with a vmax i'm so familiar with we'd have them off lickity split and it'd be def cheaper than $60.

that mechanic sure made some money there. i'm sure he gets prices cheaper than mine too. those are just doing some smart shopping around and price matching. i prefer to order for people as i get around 1%-2% back for future purchases.

You probably dont' wanna hear this but i believe another popular tire for us is the shinko tourmaster and they were on sale for like $120 for the PAIR a few weeks back.

talk soon!

Filters are easy to do but stay away from stealerships down here in va they wanted 21 dollars for just one.On line 4 to 8 bucks . Also cut old one open when swapping to see what it looks like ..

i work out of hopkinton so maybe we could meet up quick one night for a bite or something. I know mark (lakeville) and the springfield guys (mike and rick) have been bugging me to get out. i have a 21 mo old and another one due in august so i get busy. plus rugby and restoring an '89 NT650.

You probably dont' wanna hear this but i believe another popular tire for us is the shinko tourmaster and they were on sale for like $120 for the PAIR a few weeks back.

talk soon!

Hey Garrett, getting Avons like that is great. How's about some Saturday, I just come down mid morning. Sure we can have you order. And it would awesome, if I could come down...since I'm a little under an hour away...and do the tire then and there. If we can do well, I happen to have several bikes. I need a tire source wicked bad.

I am aware of comparative shopping, but I have been forced to "go along, to get along." My mechanic is the ONLY guy near me that knows what he's doing. Only problem is that he knows it and is arrogant to a fault. So, I explain all this on account that I'm highly motivated to work out other sources. I have to almost beg this guy to do stuff on my bike...chessh!!!

Re: Shinkos. That's what I have on right now. I need a new rear, though, soon. Within 1K or riding. I want to go with Avon Radials for the Max. I am fine with bias ply with my Maqnas.

Jack

Welcome Jack. I'm way down east on the Cape, but get out to meet up with the guys
often. You're now in good hands. All things Vmax are at your disposal, just ask.
We're due foir a Quabbin ride soon. Last year the weather never cooperated.
Steve-o

Filters are easy to do but stay away from stealerships down here in va they wanted 21 dollars for just one.On line 4 to 8 bucks . Also cut old one open when swapping to see what it looks like ..

not a bad price for an OEM one, and for how infrequent i replace it (every couple years) i just buy oem. but there are definitely cheaper alternatives as you mentioned.

Hey Garrett, getting Avons like that is great. How's about some Saturday, I just come down mid morning. Sure we can have you order. And it would awesome, if I could come down...since I'm a little under an hour away...and do the tire then and there. If we can do well, I happen to have several bikes. I need a tire source wicked bad.

I am aware of comparative shopping, but I have been forced to "go along, to get along." My mechanic is the ONLY guy near me that knows what he's doing. Only problem is that he knows it and is arrogant to a fault. So, I explain all this on account that I'm highly motivated to work out other sources. I have to almost beg this guy to do stuff on my bike...chessh!!!

That'd probably work just fine. how soon do you need the tire? any other maintenance you need to tackle or just a second set of eyes on? i hear ya on competent mechanics. part of the reason i got a tire changer is prices here were getting ridiculous. same story, they really didn't want to mount tires you brought in. so much so that one spot was charging $85 OFF THE BIKE! cheapest I could find was $40. that was the end of that. I run shinkos on a lot of my bikes b/c i really like how they stick, but with that comes shorter life. having a changer makes the more frequent changes a non-issue as well.

Re: Shinkos. That's what I have on right now. I need a new rear, though, soon. Within 1K or riding. I want to go with Avon Radials for the Max. I am fine with bias ply with my Maqnas.

Jack

I don't have a lot of experience with avons, as i've heard mixed reviews, however I did some research and it seems the avon venoms are a bias ply, in the vmax stock sizes. as far as i know there is no radial for a vmax stock rear wheel as most radials need a smaller sidewall which would drastically reduce the overal diameter (esp on a 15" rim). there are some scooter options but you then run into a weight issue and the overall diameter issue as well.

there are quite a few radial tires that will fit the vmax front but it is highly unadvised to go radial front/bias rear.

if you have an aftermarket rear wheel ignore my previous comments :).

if you don't, its in my opinion (after a decent seat), hands down the best mod to do to a vmax.

hEY Garrett,
I was thinking I was missing out of something without the radials in the rear.

I just took out the Shinkos on the MAX, and it hooks up.

I will just stay the same as what I have on the rear with 170, 80, 15. I wonder if the 777 is available in our size? I will check.

Thanks, I need to tune that front 2 to 10 mph roughness. I have concluded it's not right.

Thanks,
Jack

hi jack and every one else... im a newb to this site and vmax as well , just got my 05 this feb. 2 days before the blizzard. I've already fixed my death wobble thanks to morley's videos . tail light is next hope to see everyone on the road. ill keep an eye out for the quabbin run this year I've never rode around it just by it. so if you don't mind a tag along.

hEY Garrett,
I was thinking I was missing out of something without the radials in the rear.

I just took out the Shinkos on the MAX, and it hooks up.

I will just stay the same as what I have on the rear with 170, 80, 15. I wonder if the 777 is available in our size? I will check.

Thanks, I need to tune that front 2 to 10 mph roughness. I have concluded it's not right.

Thanks,
Jack

From the one pic it appeared you had the tour master front. Haven't heard of anyone trying the 777s yet for our bikes but I could get a 170/80-15 for around 110. I just put a pair on my buddies Vulcan. He likes them, but has minimal miles so far. Let me know

-garrett

hi jack and every one else... im a newb to this site and vmax as well , just got my 05 this feb. 2 days before the blizzard. I've already fixed my death wobble thanks to morley's videos . tail light is next hope to see everyone on the road. ill keep an eye out for the quabbin run this year I've never rode around it just by it. so if you don't mind a tag along.

Welcome, I'm just a hop and a skip away from you in Franklin. Used to frequent woonsocket for the food at vintage, pre kiddo. If you need a hand with anything or tires gimme a shout.

-garrett

Garrett I really like this idea of helping with the tires. I know that machine is expensive but the best thing about this is the better you do the better we do in terms of total cost and value!!
Thanks for being smart.
Jack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cool gamorg I saw you were in franklin from you problems with your brake adapter machining job I was waiting to see if you got it fixed I happen to work in machine shop in Woonsocket my self so I was gonna offer my services as pay back for all the free info I've gotton so far

thanks
brian

Man, oh man... I am so glad that I took your advice on replacing the filter, this is a picture of the old one cut in half:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372968449.540569.jpg

I will report if there are any updates in the low and Chugalug smoothness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last one I cut open was a pulpy. gooey mess, new filter after only two tanks of gas..

My fault I'm sure, I SERIOUSLY overdosed the bike on Techron, at least half a bottles worth, maybe more....Live and learn...

I usually buy whatever fits off the shelf at the auto parts store....I like the clear ones but the ones at O'Riellys seem to be a little shoddy compared to all metal ones....

Pingle makes some super nice clear ones that you can change the cartridges in...But like every thing Pingle they are $$$

What about the 5/16 Fuel filters with the reusable brass element? Ive used them on cars, but havent on the Vmax.....what does everyone think?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back