Newbie...BLOWN AWAY

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackFunTeach

Reaction score
Howdie All. I am the newest of the Newbies. Just 2 days of owning my 1997 VMAX, KerKer 4 into 1, KNN x4 Individual Air Cones, Jetted, and a "SWITCH." When the switch is off, it's a faster than my V65, but not crazy. When the Switch is on, I hear this turbo eeeeeee (high pitches sound) and the front wheel lifts up around 2 to 4 rpms. Then at 6K this thing is scary mary. Like that 18 year old, "slow the car down or I'll piss my pants" feeling. I guess it's the vBoost that was described as "Highly Modified."

It sounds and feels like a NASCAR Racing V8.

Just like I did on my V65, I hope to learn from you all, and maybe offer a chuckle or two as I go through my "Foresst Gump" learning curve. Got a bit of white smoke after I poured a whole can of SeaFoam. I hope that what was caused. But, hey, NOT gonna worry about that now. Yesterday, when I woke up, I immediately got dressed but quick and saw the Jehovah's coming to knock on the door, and fired up that monster in a hurry. Proceeded to Ride it hard 500 miles that day. Stock seat will be the first modification to be done. The Shinkos that are amazing.

Also, there is a tube going from where I guess is the oil dip stick hole. There is a big hose that goes to the cones with these two smaller hoses to the top of the top to air cones? Someday I will learn what I'm doing. But, in the mean time, I need know....do I put unscrew the clamp and pull off the hose thing, and add 3.5 quarts there?

Jack

Last edited:
Ok. Wow. So the switch is an on/off/3k-6k v-boost selector if it's 3-position. If it's 2 position it's probably always on or normal (6k). Since you have cone filters there needs to be an oil breather. Yours seems to be routed directly back to the oil pan. You will fill up oil in there if it's down by the right peg. You probably won't get to 3.5qt either. Just pour it in until you're barely past half in the sight glass (front right of motor below water pump housing) with the bike level on both wheels - no center stand. A whole can of Seafoam is a lot, so that's probably your smoke.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Ok. Wow. So the switch is an on/off/3k-6k v-boost selector if it's 3-position. If it's 2 position it's probably always on or normal (6k). Since you have cone filters there needs to be an oil breather. Yours seems to be routed directly back to the oil pan. You will fill up oil in there if it's down by the right peg. You probably won't get to 3.5qt either. Just pour it in until you're barely past half in the sight glass (front right of motor below water pump housing) with the bike level on both wheels - no center stand. A whole can of Seafoam is a lot, so that's probably your smoke.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks for the informative response. Yes, I got crazy with that Seafoam. And today it didn't start for a long time, then, it ran fine and mighty.

And yes, it's a two way switch. Up the bike is like a V65 but mightier down low. I think my V65 will best it in the top end speed because I have that freakin machine dailed and tuned in. So, then when I put the switch down, I hear that turbo high pitched wine then it I swear it was as fast if not faster than my former R1 or any superbikes, which I've owned several recent new ones.

But, again, I think I have to wrench that whole thing apart to put the oil in. I do not like this part, but that "breather" that you referred to must be there for a performance mod?

Anyways, thanks.
Jack

Sounds like you have a dynojet stage 7 kit with the vboost still hooked up. BTW, one 16oz can of seafoam treats 44 gallons of fuel so that's probably the white smoke. Sounds like you're enjoying the bike....good luck !

Sounds like you have a dynojet stage 7 kit with the vboost still hooked up. BTW, one 16oz can of seafoam treats 44 gallons of fuel so that's probably the white smoke. Sounds like you're enjoying the bike....good luck !

Stage 7. Thank You. Getting up on the accurate terminolgy. That VBoost, makes a Big difference. My mechanic, who is antagonisic and arrogant threw it on the dyno. switch off, it got 108. Then with the switch on, it pulled 135. Huge difference in feel, too!!

Jack

Should look like this under the airbox cover (faux tank)

The catch can (puke can) in the center has two plastic tubes on the bottom....the smaller one attaches to the crankcase vent hose, between the cylinder banks, and the larger one attaches to the large hose going to the oil fill.

Vapors from the crankcase are routed into the front carbs and liquid oil runs back into the base.

Stage 7. Thank You. Getting up on the accurate terminolgy. That VBoost, makes a Big difference. My mechanic, who is antagonisic and arrogant threw it on the dyno. switch off, it got 108. Then with the switch on, it pulled 135. Huge difference in feel, too!!

Jack

135 is HUGE for a Vmax with just an exhaust and a stage 7 - usually it's more around 125-128. It may be that there's a little more work done to your motor.. Whatever it is, enjoy it! :clapping:

135 is HUGE for a Vmax with just an exhaust and a stage 7 - usually it's more around 125-128. It may be that there's a little more work done to your motor.. Whatever it is, enjoy it! :clapping:

+1 135 is what a well running 1260 will put out...and he's just a short hop across I-90 to PCW....:hmmm:

Funny thing, Jack is a friend of mine and called me this weekend to ask about "where" to put the oil in? I have a Stage 7 bike of my own right now, but haven't finished restoring it yet, and I went out to look at the bike and couldn't find the oil fil cap! Mine also has the fitting there than runs up into the airbox! I would have had the same question eventually! Guess I know where the oil goes now!!!!

congrats on the bike.....sounds like a beast....
pics bro pics hahahahh

Pics. TImageUploadedByTapatalk1372696343.799154.jpg

Question: I think Another Mod. 2 tubes coming from each side of the carbs. Will the Pea Shooter and Shot Gun Method work with these existing mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those tubes are your float bowl drains, I'm no expert, but I would think the Peashooter/Shotgun cleaning methods would work the same on your carbs................You are aware the 97s were the fastest Gen 1s produced!!..............:punk:................Tom.

I'm just up the Rd in Belchertown, I can take care of that stock seat problem for ya!

Back