VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried synthetic once and noticed my temperature gauge read cooler, interesting. Must be the less friction thing. Then I noticed, yes indeed I could slip the clutch. Now I have the "Double-D" with Synth. and do problems.

i was wondering, i own a utility construction business and run all diesel trucks, i use shell rotella 15-40 in all equipment and trucks, i have it by 55 gallon drums, has anyone heard of any horror stories on using it in the max? also i've heard not to use synthetic because its to slick for the clutches, is this true or a myth?

i was wondering, i own a utility construction business and run all diesel trucks, i use shell rotella 15-40 in all equipment and trucks, i have it by 55 gallon drums, has anyone heard of any horror stories on using it in the max? also i've heard not to use synthetic because its to slick for the clutches, is this true or a myth?

I'm using Shell Rotella T 15W50 in my max and it's absolutely fine.

Most 'motorcycle' oils are fully synthetic - that's the stuff the bike manufacturers usually recommend. If you were to buy the Yamalube oil that Yamaha recommends for the Vmax, you would find that it's fully synthetic.

The oils with anti-friction additives are the ones to avoid for bikes with wet clutches.

5W40 IMO... As for the Mobil 1 filter... I don't think I'm going to run it anymore. It's an OK filter but the bypass valve may be rated at a higher pressure causing the motor to not get as much oil as it's supposed to. I will probably start using the STP filter ALSO made by champion labs. Champion makes them for a crap ton of people! Not sure what the STP number is yet. The mobil is M-110

I use a bosh(spelling?) #3300 sold at autozone and its black, has good pressure

I use mobil 1 syn 20-50 along with 12oz of xr-1 additive in mine ever oil change no slippage great oil pressure I have clear covers on my bike and it seems (by looking at it anyway) to stay cleaner than some other oils.

I used Rotella for a long time after break in was complete. I had no issues at all. Furthermore it got great reviews from other motorcyclist and it was cheap! The only time I ever had any problems was when I added a small dose of Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer just for a little something extra. This made my clutch slip like a mofo. Scared the crap out of me so I turned around, went straight home and drained it. Filled it back up with Rotella and all was good. I will chalk this up to lessons learned.

I have always used Castrol 20/50 in all my bikes, it works for me living in so.cal. the weather is nice most of the year so it`s been pretty good to the vmax . It also depends on where you live and the weather conditions that you ride in so there is my 2 cents worth.
By the way, about 3 weeks ago my bike fell over while I was checking the oil level window .I was holding the bar with one hand and it moved of the kick stand. (does that deserve a homer award ??lol)
It didn`t fall hard but now I have a custom curved clutch handle (I kinda like it )

I used Rotella for a long time after break in was complete. I had no issues at all. Furthermore it got great reviews from other motorcyclist and it was cheap! The only time I ever had any problems was when I added a small dose of Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer just for a little something extra. This made my clutch slip like a mofo. Scared the crap out of me so I turned around, went straight home and drained it. Filled it back up with Rotella and all was good. I will chalk this up to lessons learned.

Man, I'm glad you posted your findings on the Lucas Oil Stailizer. I was thinking of trying it but I definitely won't now, so thank you much!!

Thinking about going with Royal Purple oil & filter for my next change. Anyone have any experience with their products, good or bad?

looking through my manual oil change every 8000 miles with reg oil. any API rated oil no energy conserving...im starting to believe it after all these...hell run any syn for a season ...think the hype on oil is just hype...all oils are like syn now reg syn it dont matter

I've long-since wondered about the 8K mile oil change recommendation from the book as well. I guess I change it way more frequently than need be but I like the way it shifts with fresher oil.

Who knows. :)
-

Thinking about going with Royal Purple oil & filter for my next change. Anyone have any experience with their products, good or bad?

YEP! Good but I am using Rotella 5W40 instead due to the cheaper price. I used RP Max Cycle.

I will be using RP in my G8.

In the test reports I have seen RP only did barely OK about 4 out 0f 10, 10 being excellent.

If your wanting the BEST, which is relative, willing to spend the money go with Amsoil, Motul or Golden Spectro

or

For half the money and just as good as the above listed Mobil 1 or Rotella but rotella only tested fair whereas the others were excellent.

I been running Royal Purple 5w/20 now for a lil over a month in my Maxima and have seen an increase in the MPG and smoother rpms.. Its expensive but I see a diffence.
Wish I could run it in the VMAX but the last time I ran Synthetic myDouble D clutch slipped

Rotella T is also working absolutely fine for me. Coming up to 44,000 miles now, runs and shifts great, no clutch slip and easy neutral hot or cold.

The more i read about oil, the less i believe. I've done my own oil changes for as long as i can remember (payuing sombody to change your oil is like paying sombody to bang your wife), i didn't start using synthetic oil regularly till i got my Mustang, and i'll actually be switching back to dino oil becasue of the blower, and i've neve lost an engine on a car, all of which ran more than 125,000. My old Caprice cop car had 159,000 on it when i sold it and that always ran dino oil.

Back