The tire/tyre thread! Widest and best?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of offsets,,, here's mine with a Deget rear wheel from Boxenstopp. I originally had to move the washer with a Metzeler 880 radial on the rear. I had an RC on the front. What I did after moving the washer was to move the swingarm back over to the left wth adjustable swingarm bolts on both sides of the bike. Zero offset of the wheel when viewing from the rear. Now I have a notched swingarm we made at work, and I have a custom welded '85 Vmax wheel on the front. It's been widened to 3.5" and chromed. Light as hell compared to the RC. I saved almost 10 pounds on the front with this rim. I Have pics of that if anyone want to see.

Vinnie

Attachments

• P5030037.JPG
    P5030037.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 108
  • RC Components Rim.JPG
    RC Components Rim.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 97
Speaking of offsets,,, here's mine with a Deget rear wheel from Boxenstopp. I originally had to move the washer with a Metzeler 880 radial on the rear. I had an RC on the front. What I did after moving the washer was to move the swingarm back over to the left wth adjustable swingarm bolts on both sides of the bike. Zero offset of the wheel when viewing from the rear. Now I have a notched swingarm we made at work, and I have a custom welded '85 Vmax wheel on the front. It's been widened to 3.5" and chromed. Light as hell compared to the RC. I saved almost 10 pounds on the front with this rim. I Have pics of that if anyone want to see.

Vinnie

That looks pretty well bang on centered - looks great :clapping:

Mike

Vinnie

Looks good Vinnie :punk:

MC
Looks like you have your grabrail chromed. You know if you remove the plastic reflector mount and take mineral spirits with a rag and rub there is Chrome under the flat silver?:worthy:
Yankee, I tried paint remover on the back side of the mount to check out if it was chrome. It was the same remover I have used to strip clear coat and many other paints. It did not even faze the flat silver. Are mineral spirits that much stronger than paint stripper? I still don't know for sure it is chrome under there.... :confused2:

I installed the ME 880 170/80 R15 Thursday w/o any clearance issues and love it! Test rode the hell out of it Saturday at Deals Gap!

C-man

It's not chrome under that paint, you will have to sand up to a high grit then buff to get a polished look.

If you think about it, if they chromed it - why then paint over it ? :bang head:

Sorry, I think someone was mistaken.

Thanks for the info. Wondered why I couldn't get to the chrome!!

C-man

It's not chrome under that paint, you will have to sand up to a high grit then buff to get a polished look.

If you think about it, if they chromed it - why then paint over it ? :bang head:

Sorry, I think someone was mistaken.

Hmm... I remember reading that it was chrome underneath too. I'll have to dig through my old notes.

I ride my max hard and usually go through 1 to 2 tires a season.....I put on a spitfire s11 this season and personally love it!
STILL looks new 1/2 way through season!
anyone else tried these?

I have also ran a 180-70-15 Metzler ME880.

It doesnt handle very well along its a shorter tire which increases your RPM while riding. It hurt my dragstrip times it just didnt feel it pulled as hard as a taller tire.

Also you are actually putting less tire contact to the ground since the rim is only 3.5 in wide it causes the tire to really have roll meaning you are pulling the sidewall in so tight it causes a crown in the center of the tire which is defeating the purposes. Thats one of the reasons it doesnt feel as good as the 170-80-15
180-70-15 sucks on a stock VMAX wheel, dont think "Ohh its a 180 that will look cool and wide on my VMAX............. WRONG!!!

Yankee, I tried paint remover on the back side of the mount to check out if it was chrome. It was the same remover I have used to strip clear coat and many other paints. It did not even faze the flat silver. Are mineral spirits that much stronger than paint stripper? I still don't know for sure it is chrome under there.... :confused2:

Ohh shit Sorry I didnt see this until now, sorry for the Brain Fart well Big Mamma Moment...

Not sure if I would use Paint Thinner on Plastic:ummm:, I recommened minerial spirits due to its not harsh on plastic and wont haze it...
But Yes there is chrome under the flat grey.... Rub, Buff Hard... with MINERAL SPIRITS, if ya need some I am in Nashville, TN cruise on out here and I will hook ya up!

Vinnie

Very Nice Vin
Thats how a tire is supposed to look under a VMAX. This is why I like this site, I was looking hard at that one guy on ebay that sells the 5.5 in wheel goes by eightenuff, I heard that rim is heavy and by seeing the pictures it looks really terible with the offset IMO.
Kossman and Boxxenstop look very good so far for as modifying the rear wheel

Tom at COO makes the best 17" rear wheels for the max period!

Dead on balls centered with the factory offset front centerline to back. I've seen the KOZ, RC, Ebay, Car, and all comers...this one is the shiznit ;)

Run radials, or run along home child!

Neil

Last edited:
Tom at COO makes the best 17" rear wheels for the max period!

Dead on balls centered with the factory offset front centerline to back. I've seen the KOZ, RC, Ebay, Car, and all comers...this one is the shiznit ;)

Run radials, or run to the house!

Neil

Link please or

:pics:

Re: Widest tire on stock rear wheel

Oh Yeah, forgot to mention, the front is a ME880 120/90-18. Goes well with the balloon theme, lol! It come on the bike when I got it, and can't wear it out. The PO had the fork brace spaced upwards, but I removed the spacers the last time I had the forks off, and the fender still clears no problem..

Im gonna buy a set of metzlers on payday just wondering would the 120/90-18 handle as well as 100/90-10? as in harder to lean? I found a 100/90-10 front for 80$ with free shipping

DO you mean 100/90-18? 10 would be a small rim! lol

Friend has a 120 and it definitely turns slower. Not sure how the 100 would handle.

Back