The tire/tyre thread! Widest and best?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Guys,
Yeah, I do like my Boxenstopp rear wheel. It is heavy but is fine until I go to the Carrozzeria's someday. The ride and handling is a world apart from the stock setup. My front is a custom job. It's an '85 Vmax rim widened to 3.5" by Kosman Racing. Had it triple chromed at UFO Cycles. Looks nice. Light as hell too. My RC rim weighed 21 lbs or so. This custom '85 weighs 12 lbs without rotors or tire. A huge weight savings for a wheel.
As for the chrome rear reflector holder,,, I have done a couple. I did the original and it came out great. I sold that one. The next one was one I got with a light kit in it. I got it and did the old nail polish remover trick. Came out chrome as can be. Just let the nail polish remover sit on it a bit and rub with paper towels. No kidding, no special secrets. Just patience. I included pics.

Vinnie

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 68
ok so I'm looking at replacing my tires, and from this thread I get the feeling that the Metzeler ME880 is the way to go.
Only problem is, at motorcycle-superstore.com (good prices and free shipping), they don't seem to have the correct sizes available in the correct speed rating (V).
I wanna go all stock - 150/90 V 15 rear and 110/90 V 18 front.

Where do you guys get your tires from, and are those stock sizes available from Metzeler in V rating? I found them but only H rated - not good enough I believe?

ok so I'm looking at replacing my tires, and from this thread I get the feeling that the Metzeler ME880 is the way to go.
Only problem is, at motorcycle-superstore.com (good prices and free shipping), they don't seem to have the correct sizes available in the correct speed rating (V).
I wanna go all stock - 150/90 V 15 rear and 110/90 V 18 front.

Where do you guys get your tires from, and are those stock sizes available from Metzeler in V rating? I found them but only H rated - not good enough I believe?

I like the metzler me880 and love the michelin tire but I dont like paying the michelin price. This is where you want to pay extra for qaulity is the front. Michelins have the truest tire and take little to no weight to high speed balance them on a machine.
I have never lost traction on the front tire of my Max and I have taken turns pretty hard at times.
I love a smooth true running tire on the front and Michelins surpass every other tire manufacture in this area.
NO They are all H Rated. Dont be concerned with that, unless you plan on doing a 24 Rally Race over in Monaco and you can ride your VMAX at speeds over 140MPH for hours.

Where do you guys get your tires from, and are those stock sizes available from Metzeler in V rating? I found them but only H rated - not good enough I believe?[/quote]

I just ordered a new set of Metz from Dennis Kirk. Only got 5,000 out of the stock Bridgestone:bang head: Anyway, I went with the 170 rear and it was $240 to the door for the set. Plus it only took 2 days to get them. If you can find them cheaper somewhere else (which I didn't this time), they do honor other vendor prices and their service is top notch. Oh' and Yankee is right on about the speed rating. Good Luck!

Clay, 170 sized ME880's are all "H". NO worries about the speed rating. That's set by running 150+ for two straight hours....doubt that'll happen on a Vmax. :)

The 150 series are V rated if you want those.

Cheapest tires I've found was from ronayers.com. I checked what stock front and 170 for rear were for ME880's and it's about $242 including shipping.

Clay, 170 sized ME880's are all "H". NO worries about the speed rating. That's set by running 150+ for two straight hours....doubt that'll happen on a Vmax. :)

The 150 series are V rated if you want those.

Cheapest tires I've found was from ronayers.com. I checked what stock front and 170 for rear were for ME880's and it's about $242 including shipping.

Hmmm adding in my head:ummm: aaaahh 150MPH X 2 Hours is 300 Miles. I think you will be stopping for gas, So H rated should be great. Why are you guys so worried about H rated. Most of you have never seen 149MPH

Anyone tried the Michelin Pilot Road 2 dual compound tires? I am looking at getting the UFO Max Daddy black powder coated 18" rear wheel and keeping the stock front wheel. For the rear they offer 160/60-18, the front they have 110/80-18 or 120/70-18. Will the 120/70 fit on the stock front wheel?

Hey Guys,
Yeah, I do like my Boxenstopp rear wheel. It is heavy but is fine until I go to the Carrozzeria's someday. The ride and handling is a world apart from the stock setup. My front is a custom job. It's an '85 Vmax rim widened to 3.5" by Kosman Racing. Had it triple chromed at UFO Cycles. Looks nice. Light as hell too. My RC rim weighed 21 lbs or so. This custom '85 weighs 12 lbs without rotors or tire. A huge weight savings for a wheel.
As for the chrome rear reflector holder,,, I have done a couple. I did the original and it came out great. I sold that one. The next one was one I got with a light kit in it. I got it and did the old nail polish remover trick. Came out chrome as can be. Just let the nail polish remover sit on it a bit and rub with paper towels. No kidding, no special secrets. Just patience. I included pics.

Vinnie

Beautiful bike.

So describe this "old nail polish remover trick," as I've never heard it! Are you saying I can get a chrome like finish on the rear reflector piece?

Phat tire question

What is the fattest tire I can put on the max with NO modifications?

Advantages to this - besides appearance?

Disadvantages to this?
________
silver surfer vaporizer

Last edited:
Re: Phat tire question

What is the fattest tire I can put on the max with NO modifications?

Advantages to this - besides appearance?

Disadvantages to this?

170 most ride a shinko or a metz...

advantages, none really. maybe a bit more grip? i like the appearance personally...

disadvantages? slightly more expensive i guess..

Some people have to washer some don't. I have close to half an inch of clearance on the swing arm still with a metzeller 170.

People like the wider tire because it looks cool but the fact that it is so large with such skinny wheel makes me believe that handling will suffer. I have several friends that have this setup and love it. I'm sure it's fine for 99.5% of us. I'm just typing out loud here...

Sean Morley had a 180 bias ply on his but really started to feel the effects of the wider tire and said he wouldn't advise the use of it.

Cheers,
Chris

Hey guys i am running a 240 pierlli diablo with the otec swingarm,i dont know if its the swingarm being extra strong or not but i have NO problems throwing it into corners and just love the way this tire performs on any surface.It is my choice for the tire and i will not run anything else,i allready have put in my order for the rim to fit the same tire for the 09,they are the best by far.A little pricey but you get what you pay for.Im getting the 240 installed on my bike for 360 cad and thats with the major price jump,last year 260 cad installed.

Latest posts

Back