What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have the busa brakes also???
I got hh pads and went to wave rotors but very slight difference then stock rotors.....again monkey was bothering me

No...I have the Sumitomo 6 piston brakes from the 1000 FZR-750 YZF (95-97 I believe). They will bolt onto any 93 up Vmax. You get better braking WITHOUT locking up the front wheel. I would say 30-50 increase over what I had, which was stock calipers, stock pads, and SS lines.

Attachments

• P1000015.jpg
    P1000015.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
No...I have the Sumitomo 6 piston brakes from the 1000 FZR-750 YZF (95-97 I believe). They will bolt onto any 93 up Vmax. You get better braking WITHOUT locking up the front wheel. I would say 30-50 increase over what I had, which was stock calipers, stock pads, and SS lines.

+1 love mine!!!! 94 fzr1000 or yzf750 I think 95- 97 sounds right

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

I still dont see the need for all that breaking power needed for the type of bike the Vmax is. I can however see the power needed for a sport bike seeing they can take sharp turns at a high rate of speed. I dont see many maxes racing twisties . JMO

No matter what bike you ride , you want it to be able to stop / slow down , right now. This gives you much more confidence going into the turns and avoiding the cagers , who really want to kill you.

pre-92 brakes are just fucking scary!

I think Garrett mis-spoke, I believe he meant, pre-1993 brakes are scary!
I'm sure he knows the brakes & front-end changed for the 1993 model year.

And Captain Kyle too, he knows more than I will ever know on the VMax parts and repairs. His "+1" on that doesn't count, give him a forum "mulligan" on that one. :biglaugh:

I have a set of "blue-spots" from Kyle waiting, sitting in a box, and a set of 1994 FZR1000 six-pistons from eBay. Matter of fact, I have a lot of stuff, waiting, I just haven't had the time...

Finished chg the clutch line.....took iit for test ride....all good,just wish it was warmer out......

Haven't turned a wrench on the max for quite some time. I did manage to sneak it out of the garage past the piles of other projects and hit the road for a small ride after work today. Only the 3rd ride of the year for me. I'm really slacking in all things vmax this year.

I think Garrett mis-spoke, I believe he meant, pre-1993 brakes are scary!
I'm sure he knows the brakes & front-end changed for the 1993 model year.

And Captain Kyle too, he knows more than I will ever know on the VMax parts and repairs. His "+1" on that doesn't count, give him a forum "mulligan" on that one. :biglaugh:

I have a set of "blue-spots" from Kyle waiting, sitting in a box, and a set of 1994 FZR1000 six-pistons from eBay. Matter of fact, I have a lot of stuff, waiting, I just haven't had the time...

ahh good point. i meant <= 1992 but didn't come off that way.. but i drove my brothers 92 vmax and it was terrifying.

I don't know how much of an improvement the 6 piston Sumitomo brakes will be, but I'm hoping to do some pre and post change stopping distance measurements to see what actual improvement I get. I debated doing this change since I can lock up the fronts with the stock set up which tells me there's enough braking power, I'm just hoping I get better deceleration feel prior to locking up. I'm sure I just got punched by the mod monkey.

Yes please let us know the differences.....to me its probably an increase of 30 to 50%...and the brakes feel like they are LESS likely to lock up. According to Sean, the Sumitomos have 50% more pad area than the stock 93 up calipers.

Probably one of the best mods that I have done to date!!

went for a ride to go check out the ZX1400. Not as big of a bike as I would have thought. The busa seems more bulkier than the 14. They just sold a couple and the new owners were picking them up. I'm thinking there's going to be, if not one, then two ZX14 parts bikes before summer is over. The bikes the dealer sold were all the same. Black with the green accents. fugly IMO in person, $14k on the sticker. Made me appreciate my bike all the more.

When I went out to go leave, there were three mechanics standing around my bike taking pictures with there phones. Made me feel pretty good that a 6-year-old, quarter century tech bike can still turn heads :)

Went for a ride out to see Smokin zx-14 and got stopped by the man for going a little fast. One of the nicest cops I have ever met ran my license & my concealed permit & ask me what kind of bike it was & said slow down a bit & have a good day.

Plugged in the last sensor, fixed my high beam wire, and am about to go burp the coolant. I'll probably work on the clutch lever again this weekend after I figure out what's bent. Brakes can wait a bit.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Went for a nice little ride today, temps up here are finally normal. It was late getting here, but normal. Its supposed to get in the upper 70's by this weekend. :)

After the ride, I sat down at my trusty dinosaur of a computer and started designing Glacier nitrous swag. So far this is the first design, I'm sure it will change or flat out be replaced before anything is finalized. It will have this image on the back and Glacier Nitrous' logo on the front (that is when I get the logo finalized :biglaugh:)

shirt1a1.jpg

Last edited:

When I went out to go leave, there were three mechanics standing around my bike taking pictures with there phones. Made me feel pretty good that a 6-year-old, quarter century tech bike can still turn heads :)

Know what you mean, had to move a portion of our frac fleet to Whittier today (would love to hear your pipes rumbling in that tunnel). On the return trip I had a pickup full of guys and since where I'm working on my ride is on the return trip I pulled in just to pick up a piece I needed to get collor matched. Even tho mine is missing a front end, the second the door went up I had a co-worker out and eyeballing it, wanting to know how fast it was and how he had always wanted one.

I told him to sell his Harley and buy two, one to replace the one he wrecked when he forgot it wasn't a Harley.

Went for a nice little ride today, temps up here are finally normal. It was late getting here, but normal. Its supposed to get in the upper 70's by this weekend. :)

After the ride, I sat down at my trusty dinosaur of a computer and started designing Glacier nitrous swag. So far this is the first design, I'm sure it will change or flat out be replaced before anything is finalized. It will have this image on the back and Glacier Nitrous' logo on the front (that is when I get the logo finalized :biglaugh:)

shirt1a1.jpg

Thats nice KJ, you could put that on Tshirts

Thats nice KJ, you could put that on Tshirts

Its one of the things I'm working on for some swag. I've got a few shirt ideas and some baseball cap ideas floating around. Basically, I'm just putting ideas in to a visual form and then I'll decide what makes the cut and what doesn't. :)

Its one of the things I'm working on for some swag. I've got a few shirt ideas and some baseball cap ideas floating around. Basically, I'm just putting ideas in to a visual form and then I'll decide what makes the cut and what doesn't. :)

"Like"!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk w/ vboost!

Latest posts

Back