Why Dyno? Why not a Busa?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnappi

Reaction score
There seem to be a LOT of people interested in running their bikes on a dyno, why?

I mean regardless what the maker did, the power is the power. Even after heavily modding the machine, the power is still the power, no?

I've met bikers that could beat hotrod 4's with a VT, and it's the skill of the rider as much as the horsepower of the machine. For certain I don't think an 09 max is doing a sub 10 quarter mile with ME aboard.

So, WHY does anyone care if they aren't top riders racing?

Oh, next question... given that the Max is capable of doing x mph in x seconds, what's the point of spending heavily on the bike to get minimal performance gains that you can only measure with an electronic timer?

Anyway...

I'm a stock bike kinda guy, I mean if I WANT Busa performance, I'd buy one and save cash, and ride a slightly ugly non spectacular "Me too" design of a bike like a Busa.

Sorry no intent to flame Busa owners but put one in profile 25 yards away next to a host of other machines and they all look like they have an upside down pregnant fish over the engine :)

Here's a slogan, "If you WANT a Busa, then BUY a Busa" ?? Catchy no?

Second that ,..but some are more technically nit picky when it comes to tinkering,...to each his own,..but if you want a ultra fast outta the box machine ,..then buy the cookie cutter zip rockets...

A fresh off the show room floor Porsche, will bet an old muscle car (stock),..but which one get more ooo's and aahhh's at the parking lot?....

Obviously Gary, the mod monkey has not gotten to you yet - but he will sooner or later!

More power is one reason to mod, others are for looks and others are for handling improvements.

I like to go faster but on a bike that can handle it too.

Mike

The dyno is a very useful tool to keep track of changes to the bike and to ensure the changes were done correctly. Sometimes simply bolting on a set of slip-ons can make your bike run rich enough to make it wash the cylinders and burn up an engine.

Sean

Obviously Gary, the mod monkey has not gotten to you yet - but he will sooner or later!

More power is one reason to mod, others are for looks and others are for handling improvements.

Mike

Gad, I HOPE not! I am just finishing "restoring" a 96 Magna that had more doodads on it (note $1500+ to replace) that made it a joke. For me the max is enough bike, if not there ARE better "stock" bikes to make me wet my pants even faster :)

Now adding a suspension improvement to make handling better I'd go for, but the need for speed is easily accomplished with a trade in.

Gad, I HOPE not! I am just finishing "restoring" a 96 Magna that had more doodads on it (note $1500+ to replace) that made it a joke. For me the max is enough bike, if not there ARE better "stock" bikes to make me wet my pants even faster :)

Now adding a suspension improvement to make handling better I'd go for, but the need for speed is easily accomplished with a trade in.

Now I never understood why somebody would want a completely stock bike other than for pure resale value of certain classic models. A stock bike in any form is a compromise between designers, engineers, management and government law. Modding a bike is the owners way of making the bike what they think the manufacturer should have done in the first place.

Some want a better sound, or performance or looks or handling than what stock offers. As the saying goes; stock is good, but customized is better"

Mike

Now I never understood why somebody would want a completely stock bike

Mike

Have you considered that some people think EXACTLY like the designer approached it and wants it EXACTLY the way it was intended?

Of course you did.

We (every one of us) accept this in blenders, washing machines, TV's, and nearly EVERY device we have. Do the designers do things we don't like such as put buttons in the "wrong" place? Sure, but then you live with it or BUY ANOTHER brand! Or am I missing something?

Would we take a 35" Sony, take a 47" flat screen from a Toshiba, and buttons from a Samsung to make it not as good as a Tosh, or Sammy? I don't think so.

So, in MY frame of mind, I simply cannot see spending x thousand dollars when something else STOCK is clearly superior, style be damned. BTW, if you want a rodded bike it's probably a better place to start with a busa no?

Now if I could get a vette to outperform a $300,000 Italian machine in EVERY WAY at a cost much less, then yes, I may do it but frankly that's a real stretch.

Anyway, I didn't start this thread to criticize modders, I wanted to get an idea what the point is when the point is lost on me, and so far I've seen more heat than light :)

:confused2: you just don't get it. If you buy a stock bike and keep it stock it is your buisness, but to bash on people for modding is rediculas. I swaped bikes with my buddy on his stock 07 Vmax this weekend and it was quite, down a little on power compared to mine. No fly screen to brake the wind. No fancy seat, I like my bike much better. It sounds way better. Plus it makes it a little more personal. I think you purchased the wrong bike...and belong to the wrong forum. :bang head:

I mod my bike, to simply put it, to make it mine. It's who I am. My personality, my stress relief.

I think what your overlooking here is that anyone and everyone is entitled to do what they want.
Some guys are into surfing, shooting, parachuting, diving , cricket, football ,tennis, baseball car racing etc etc or...making their bikes faster, in other words these are their hobbies.
Nobody needs to justify any logical reasoning just to satisfy your concerns about how much they spend,how much power they made or what they did to their bikes etc.

The fact that it bothers you, is actually your problem and not theirs.

The world is full of choices, what other people choose to do is their choice and not mine so I don't try to enforce my own beliefs upon others.:thumbs up:

The Vmax is a hot rod type of motorcycle and with it's 80's tech it lends itself to people who like to work on motorcycles. We also like to ride, enjoy the fruits of our labor and this forum is basiclly revoles around those two principles.
If you enjoy riding a stock Vmax, but do not care to mod them, that's ok too. To each their own. You can find plenty of info on rides, people in your area to ride with and get plenty of enjoyment that way. But I think you'll find that most of us enjoy working on motorcycles, making changes to suit their needs, and helping each other out in that pursuit.
The Vmax is not a blender, nor a toaster, it is a passion for a particular model of motorcyle that feeds the inner hot rodder in us. It drives us to stay up until 2 am fixing that starter clutch that has gone out on you a couple times before. It compells you to invite any and all to come to your home to enjoy the brotherhood of the Vmax.
I think if most of us just had the "need for speed" we know there are faster bike out there, but that's not the point. I have no need for a plastic coated cookie cutter motorcycle to go fast. I don't think they have as much personality as a Vmax. Sure they are nice motorcycles but the Vmax gives me that visceral feeling I'm looking for.

Personally, i like reaping the benifits of newer technology. The V-max was built/designed with 1985 technology and the 07 V-max STILL uses that same technology. I like the looks and such of the V-max, but wanna update it with EFI and much better handling. If Yamaha built an updated version of the original V-max, i would consider buying it. But, Yamaha choose to build a totally different bike at a price that is waaaaay out of reach. Does'nt really resemble the one it replaces IMO.
So, as it is, i'm doing the update myself...besides, it gives me something to do.

Mike

:biglaugh: Dynos are cool. Especially when it's raining outside.

gnappi,...and others. If stock is what you want , then I'm glad you enjoy all you have ,..if tinkering is what you enjoy,..then rejoice.
We all like this bike for what it gives us.
I think there is room for all in this site , making the your bike a personal pleasure or keeping it stock suites your niche.
It all comes down to those 2 scoops and a rumble that gives you goose bumps every time you hit 6 grand.

Personally , I think engineers only give you a canvas or platform to build upon.
I am never happy with what some one else has made. And like I always heard from my teachers in school , "there's always room for improvement".

So to all,...be happy you have it to make yours , or be happy to call it yours.:clapping: :punk:

Lots of people trade bikes and end up with a Busa. Then, they spend their time on Busa forums discussing...you guessed it...modding their Busas, putting their Busas on the dyno.

It never ends. People own bikes. People mod bikes. They find it fun. What's the point? What's the point of going to a movie?

i don't think gnappi was trying to offend or criticize modding... i think it just came across wrong via the internet....

theres no straightforward answer as these guys said. a lot of times when you do mod tho a dyno is helpful, as sean said, to make sure it was done correctly, not necessarily for the greatest performance gains but to ensure the engine runs well and lasts a while.

as far as modding, lets use your example too. say you have a TV from 1980. If there was some bolt on part to make it an HD, would you not buy it? same thing here. lots of performance (or even cosmetic mods) have come available over 25 years now to help improve performance (engine/handling/etc) or to just add some flare to the bike. my first vmax was completely stock minus a corbin and cobras which the PO put on and i was fat dumb and happy with it!

I'm pretty happy with the performance of my bike, but I still like modding it just to personalize it and make it more uniquely mine. Often it's more cosmetic than performance related.

I don't really have a need for a dyno right now, although I would like to make sure my A/F ratio is set to optimum on all four carbs, and I understand that a dyno with exhaust sniffer is the best way to do that.

:confused2: you just don't get it.
I think you purchased the wrong bike...and belong to the wrong forum. :bang head:

Um, I bought the right bike.

If you read my posts I was not being critical at all. I was asking questions that seem logical, since it got your shorts in a knot, I suspect others feel like you.

Sorry, maybe re-reading my posts with my non aggression stance being noted will loosen that knot :)

Oh, I still don't "get it" so I doubt anyone will change that.

:confused2::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::punk::punk:
Happy riding gnappi.,.....I don't understand politics either, I just don't get it!...but i still vote...so were even,.....:rofl_200:

Latest posts

Back