Clutch lever mod

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxcruiser

Reaction score
I seen a thread in here about this mod but no explination on how to do it. I found this step by step proceedure on how to do it on a thread from vmaxchat forum. thought some of you maybe interested. The following is the thread as posted;

This modification is to ease lever pull, increase smoothness and stop wear in lever and pivot bolt

Parts required
1- clutch lever
1- Pivot bolt (clutch)
1- Bearing INA # HK 0810
1- 12mm drill bit
Locktite # 609 or # 680, stud and bearing retaining compound

Step 1
Drill hole in clutch lever with 12mm drill bit, be sure it?s straight.

ML_unmodified.JPG

Step 2
Slightly chamfer drilled hole to assist in installing bearing.

ML_Bearing.JPG

Step 3
Put a small drop of Locktite on out surface of bearing.

Step 4
Press carefully bearing into lever, press in till flush with lever.

Step 5
Have hardened sleeve made as per diagram. Use inside diameter of bearing as a guide to fit of sleeve, it should just slide in without force.

ML_Drawing.jpg

Step 5
Have Machinist turn down stock bolt as per diagram, so sleeve slides over modified bolt

ML_Bolt_unmodified.JPG

ML_bolt_modified.JPG

Step 6
Use Locktite on inside of sleeve and press onto bolt. Allow time to set.

ML_Sleeve.JPG

Step 7
Lube bearing and bolt with waterproof grease and reassemble clutch lever to master cylinder.

Step 8
Go try it out and feel the difference, no up and down lever play and very smooth and controllable lever pull.

Thanks for the write-up and parts list. Great mod IMHO. :cheers:

I've already replaced lever, tried a thin washer. Still sloppy.

Jim

Thanks for the write-up and parts list. Great mod IMHO. :cheers:

I've already replaced lever, tried a thin washer. Still sloppy.

Jim

I can't take the credit for it - I took from another forum - posted because there was some threads here asking how to do it. IT does work great though.

Mike

Some of us rednecks in mid-america do not have machine shop connections. Someone needs to make these en masse and sell them to the rest of us losers. Any takers?

Last edited:
Ditto Jeff! There's a beer or 12 in it for ya. :biglaugh:

i had a huge problem with this and I had an old mechanic friend of mine show me a pretty cool trick. instead of messing with bearings and a lot of searching for stuff just get a set of feeler gauges and find the one that fits pretty snugly above the lever, mine was .016'' take that one off and make a circle out of a chunk you cut off and drill a hole a little bigger than the bolt in the middle. mine has worked great for 7 months or so hopes this helps someone out that did not want to go through the hassle of the regular mod.

So basically you made a washer out of a feeler gauge? Good idea!

Thank you i too had tried to use various washers and grind them down but with no luck.

Thanks for reminding me of this.... hopefully this fall I'll be able to get some things done!!!

I definately don't always understand ya, but thats what makes it fun and frustrating all at the same time!!!

Oh Great, NOW I find this out!!
I sent my ballot in less than 6 hours ago!! :bang head::bang head::bang head:

Well like Naughty G says Lankee knows everything and is the greatest if you dont do it his way its wrong, Should have asked me who to get levers from..:rofl_200:

ooaaar do i detect a little sarcasm here from our lovely lankee? Hang on I haven't told ya how to drag race yet it's obvious you need a buncha lessons m8 lol

Getting back on topic, I took some measurements on the stock bolt and the sleeve diameter is 7.9mm the ID of the bearing is 8mm. Instead of machining down the bolt and making a collar, I'm going to just drill out the lever to fit the bearing and then put the bearing over the stock bolt. I'll see how much slop I have and see if the collar is really necessary.

Back