Finished custom Vmax (pics +vid) plus R1 front fork conversion Q's (All set to swap)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nidyanazo

Reaction score
Hey I just thought I'd drop by and post some pics, she's pretty much all done the way I 'm satisfied with! I did want to ask if anyone has any experiance with R1 parts on Vmax's- I have an 2008 R1, and I was thinking about doing a front fork swap, and maybe the brakes, wheel, hell the whole front end... Any thoughts?
Hope ya'll like the direction I took my max in! I think she looks pretty mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YryQWL4s3G8&hd=1

_DSC0628.JPG

_DSC0643.JPG

_DSC0647.JPG

_DSC0651.JPG

_DSC0661.JPG

_DSC0683.JPG

Re: Finished custom Vmax (pics +vid) plus R1 front fork conversion Q's (All set to sw

Nice !!!!!!

Re: Finished custom Vmax (pics +vid) plus R1 front fork conversion Q's (All set to sw

Clean! Very nice

Plenty of people put USD forks on. Some things to consider.. r1 rim you will have to go digital speedo, doing the conversion is not cheap but will improve handling, here's a link to some triple trees. I wanted to do it on my max but after getting my 17" rims and having the 07 forks with progressive springs I think it handles just fine so buying a USD front end doesn't make sense to me anymore I'd rather get other things for max

http://www.cycleoneoff.com/Photo_Album.html

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

A good job on the bike to this point, tasteful & clean!

The R1 downtubes are shorter, though custom "gullwing" triple trees may solve that. Since the VMax is much heavier, you will need different springs for the front end. Sean has experience in these swaps, see what he has to say.

I think a late model VMax 43 mm front end setup (1993+) w/aftermarket springs & maybe Gold Valve or RICOR valves & late model calipers & their corresponding 298 mm rotors & HH pads or the triple opposed piston 100 mm o.c. spacing Yamaha FZR calipers, (don't forget braided SS brake lines!) w/a Kosman rear modded stock wheel in either 17" or 18" will get you to about the same place & probably for less $$. That will allow you to run radials, which I maintain is the single biggest handling improvement you can make. I did just that for ~ $1K by some careful shopping for good used parts, & sales. The R1 front end alone will cost you > that, usually.

I do have a chromed triple set and I think a standard machined finish triple set available for the front end swap. I don't know if you can use your 08 front end though? I have a 2009 R1 front end here I could try and mock up before selling it but I don't have the wheel/axle to do a 100% verification. I believe these fronts are set up for 2002-2003 R1 front ends. I can make an adapter kit to reuse the OEM wheel (or even our Carr wheels). I also have a fender kit for the chrome triple set to remount the OEM Vmax fender on the inverted front end.

Your bike looks real nice.

But I gotta ask:::is that bag going to be safe where it sits, so close to that exhaust, or will it become toast when the muffler heats to it's full temp?
A member of the Star forum actually caught a set on fire on his Gen II right when he slowed down to stop in front of a gas pump! Calm, level headed thinking saved all but his rear fender, the bag, and all it's contents.

Great pictures. Others can learn from your technique. Oh , nice bike and mods too. Beverly Hills huh?, a little far from me to keep an eye out for you!

What bars are those? And what dimensions are they?

This is a nicely done machine you got here.

The R1 stuff has all the same specs, front axle is same Sean and forks are 50mm top and 54mm lower and 210mm fork span. rotors change in PCD and diameter being the biggest the 04-06
Nidyanazo to check some application for R1 forks from 04 to 08 check my thread on my signature

Thanks fellas! Since these photos were taken I've done some more mods to the bike, and will post more updates soon.. Blacked out some more parts, have a gorgeous Akra $1,000 carbon fiber muffler, and a few other nice bits and pieces :)

If anything, I'd like to do the R1 brakes on the front swap.. But we'll see. I need a parts list of what exactly I need to finish that up.

Beautiful and tasteful mods that really make the bike stand out! Is that saddle bag mounted by a bracket or under the seat straps? and could you post a link to where you got it?

Back