mod list for stock 97

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmoto

Reaction score
I just bought a 97 that is basically stock. i would like a list of suggested items that are necessary to make this bike more reliable. it has 9400 miles and is in excellent shape. i have supertrap exhaust only as far as i can see. i have read about the "t-boost" but would like a list for upgrading. any suggestions.

oldmoto

There are so many MODs you can do,streetfighter ,performance,handling and the biggest 1 of all is your BUDGET, be WARNED the MOD MONKEY is a NASTY BITCH!and once you start you cant stop.LOL I think with 9400 miles your bike is going to be just fine as far a being reliable. You need to decide first what direction you want to go in with your bike. JIM

There isn't really anything necessary you have to do to make it reliable except for regular maintenance. Now if you want to know what mods to do to it...well that's a different story!:biglaugh:
And welcome to the forum! :cheers::welcome_sign:

welcome to the forum man :punk: lots of mods pending on your riding style, lot of guys upgrading brakes, seat, carbs kits etc. but also runs great stock as you will see lots of guys not complain too much about the bike. search around the forum you will might find a mod you wanna do, but be aware the mod monkey doesnt take long to latch on hahahah

i have read about items to help the frame, are they necessary. Performance ( quarter mile speed is what i am looking for. has there been any feed back on the t boost?

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum!! Let me introduce you to my little friend, the Mod Monkey:whistlin:. My Max, Toxic, started life as a 97, now there isn't much stock left. The first question you should ask yourself is what you want to do with your Max. For normal cruising etc. leave it alone and do the maintenance to keep it running well. If you want to be a bit more aggressive then I would recommend the following basic mods to correct some of the more glaring issues:

1) Stainless steel brake and clutch lines
2) Solid motor mounts (helps correct the frame flexing)
3) Ricor intimidators in the forks
4) Lastly you might want to look into a reasonably priced set of rear shocks

Also, check your steering head bearing preload, located in a thread here, just haven't had time to search it out and link it.

For comfort I would recommend a Morley Muscle seat as they are the best out there for comfort and performance, and as you will learn quickly here Sean is a great guy to deal with.

If it is performance I recommend all of the above and:

1) Full exhaust system (there are more than a couple out there to choose from)
2) Morley Muscle jet kit, best bang for your buck as far as jet kits are concerned
3) New wheels with radials

After that the Mod Monkey has a firm grip and you end up with whatever your imagination wants your baby to be. Good luck and by all means if you have any questions feel free to ask away!

Welcome to the forum! If you're looking for 1/4 mile speed and are proficient with launching a motorcycle then probably pipes and carb kit would be where to start.
As far as pipes there are a few choices:
4 into 1: Kerker, Mark's, Hindle
4 into 2: Marks, Holeshot
Check out the exhaust section for a ton(or tonne :biglaugh:) of info on exhaust.
Carb kits: Morley's Muscle kit, Stage Seven
Again, in the carb section there is a lot more detail on your options.

if your going for 1/4 im sure you wont need t-boost, i got it and use it to shut off vboost when traveling long distances. you can rig it to keep vboost open all the time, will be a little rich down low. But a morley's kit and exhaust will be a good start for getting more power. Also frame brace to help stiffin up the frame so it wont flex soo much.

Since no one pointed you this way, there are two things I think all vmax's need to have done to them straight away.

#1 the crimp fix.

#2 steering head bearing torque.

You can find these to-do's in the VMF links page or by doing a search.

Weak points on the max are brakes and suspension IMO.

Chris

WOW, It's like I took a step back in time 9 years. This guy is doomed. Dig a grave, work up the divorce papers, cancel all credit cards, we need an intervention stat. Some one save this poor soul.

ok...I'll PM him my list of what I did to my 97.

Nice to see another 97 around. :)

I have the Mark's exhaust and Sean's Jet kit. Big improvement over stock. Sean's a great guy to deal with. I also added EBC pads. At some point changing out the rotors would be good, but the pads seemed to greatly improve my braking.

As others have said...you're doomed. Be prepared for the mod monkey to take over.

just re-iterating what these guys said. 1/4 mile is jet kit/exhaust. tboost just gives u a nice torquey feel, doesn't add much hp on the top end, infact takes a bit away.

first mod - morley seat, hands down.

Hell, he needs to skip all of that and go ahead and buy the chain drive 1500 I have sitting here ready for a customer (a quick refresh first). Quickest way to get into the 8's (but far from the cheapest).

Sean

Not that it matters two shits. but IMO here we go :biglaugh:

1/4 mile most bang for your buck : Frame brace, fork strap, jet kit, exhaust, nitrous, dyna 3000 (for ignition retard).

Handling: Frame brace, fork brace, swingarm braced, shocks, radials. (USD front end if you have the money left over)

Touring: seat, venture rear end, shocks, larger windscreen.

There are other things to get (shifters, taillights, turn signals, body work etc.) but these are the basics.

"Crimp fix" is a quick, easy thing every single Max owner should do. There's a good tutorial with pictures on Vmaxoutlaw.com. The max tends to have a pretty low voltage, one crimp before the R/R in the harness is a big cause of it. My Max never had issues with the battery going dead or slow cranking, but when I checked I only got 12.9-13V with the engine revved off idle. After the crimp fix, that went up to a more reasonable 13.6-13.8. Still a bit low, but entirely acceptable and never had any battery/power issues.

To check the head bearings. Put the bike on the centerstand, then have a helper(or a jack) lift the front wheel off the ground. Put the handlebars in the center, and give them a little push. They should fall and hit the stop, but NOT bounce. If they bounce, the head is too loose- a big cause of high-speed wobble. There's lots of threads here about how to tighten them, including some on the "furbur fix" (search it), but some people have mixed feelings about that fix's effectiveness.

Mods? Best bang-for-buck is a jet kit. You've got a few options there. Morley's kit is popular and has good reviews, but I have the Dynojet stage 1 and have no complaints either. Stage 7 is really more for the strip than street. You'll run rich at pretty much anything other than WOT, your idle will suck, and you'll chug gas like nobody's business. Significant power gain, but at the expense of driveability.

I'd strongly recommend a Venture rear diff conversion, it's geared higher so you turn about 400 RPM less on the highway. With a Dynojet kit and Venture drive, I'll see 42-43mpg at a 75mph cruise- great by Max standards.

T-boost is a fun gimmick, but I rarely ever use it. Setting it to open at 3k instead of 6k gives a little more torque down low and seems to make the bike a bit more responsive on the highway, but kills mileage....get mid to high 20's running with it open all the time.

I have the ebay "nicetect" chinese rear shocks on mine. Honestly they're not bad. Yes, they're a bit soft, but they give a very smooth, soft ride on the highway. I only bottomed them once, and that was on an absolute whammy of a pothole that almost sent me over the handlebars. Otherwise, no complaints. Got several thousand miles on them with no issues.

I have a complete front brake system from an R1 on mine....brakes are no longer any issue. Phenomenal power, far beyond stock. But SS lines are a great upgrade to the stock system and get rid of the "mushy" feel from long rubber lines. Plus, not that expensive.

Tires? You'll have to see how well whatever you have hooks up. Avoid Avon tires like the plague. I have a Venom X on the back of my bike and it's absolute garbage. No traction, doesn't track well, and it's an absolute nightmare in the rain. I mean, it's downright scary in wet conditions. I can keep it lit up off the line to over 80mph. The Max is powerful, but that's just ridiculous. Lots of people here suggest Shinko Tour Masters, due to their good quality, high traction, and low cost. Think I'll go with those this spring.

If you're concerned about reliability, you might want to do the shift segment update. Pre-99 models have the "old" shift segment that tends to crap out without notice. The pins fall out of it, and you lose the ability to shift. On old styles the pins are just held in with a very thin, flexible "finger". New style units integrate the pins to the actual drum, so they can't fall out. It's an easy job, and takes maybe $100 of parts(at dealer prices). Pull clutch cover, remove clutch basket, and it's right there. One screw and it pops out. Put the new one in the same way, re-assemble.

A note: The venture diff is for cruising and not going to help your speed. I lost .3 when I tested it at the track.

Sean

thanks for all the suggestions. i will get started when i get back from school. in a couple weeks.

i always heard a picture was worth a thousand words so, i figured i'd save myself 984.

this was a stock 97 about 4 years ago lol! lots of ways to go and more things you can imagine to change up on these bikes. you can go as far as your wallet will let you but, i always seem to manage to find something else i need! i hope whatever you're going to school for pays very well.

regards odieoh24

Back