Plugging air hole on 85 fork tube.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
I dont have a tig welder and not sure if I have the skill to fill the hole without the metal sticking out then needing grinding.

Would a dab of JB weld be enough to seal off the air hole?

Thanks

Yes I know others have used that and it works but it is permanent. Another solution is to use a bolt.

Use the jb weld, I welded mine and grinder, and it still leaks some if the hole isn't facing forward......i am eventually going to put a dab of jb on it, when i have the forks off, but it has stopped leaking.

Bring it on down... I have a small tig! It is yours to use if you want...

I just moved to Wellman and now have a nice new shed/shop!

We are having Huber boy #2 tomorrow, so you better give me until the weekend :)

Another option may be to swap forks with me. I have a nice set w/ brand new seals with the air holes already welded.

Jeff

Is the idea of blocking the air hole to ditch the air set-up and get the forks up the tree's a ways? Has that been done on early forks? Are newer forks vented? I always seem to have some pressure in mine after a while and use the shrader valve to let it out.
Steve

I was just wondering if silicon won't do the trick?
I don't put air anymore and I thought about dropping the tree an inch since I'm using progressive springs and ricor valves.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I was just wondering if silicon won't do the trick?
I don't put air anymore and I thought about dropping the tree an inch since I'm using progressive springs and ricor valves.

I don't think so, because there's still a buildup of pressure when the forks compress, so it would most probably pop the silicon out and piss oil..:confused2:

Bring it on down... I have a small tig! It is yours to use if you want...

I just moved to Wellman and now have a nice new shed/shop!

We are having Huber boy #2 tomorrow, so you better give me until the weekend :)

Another option may be to swap forks with me. I have a nice set w/ brand new seals with the air holes already welded.

Jeff

Congrats! Wellman's a bit closer..

Reason I'm not wanting tig is I dont want to grind any chrome off. But Id like to check out those forks and your new pad.. I have new seals for my forks but need to get these holes sealed before anything.

Congrats! Wellman's a bit closer..

Reason I'm not wanting tig is I dont want to grind any chrome off. But Id like to check out those forks and your new pad.. I have new seals for my forks but need to get these holes sealed before anything.

I am NO way a good tig welder and don't know a ton about welding in general. I do have some stainless filler rod and you can check out my forks anytime... very little grinding needed and rust hasn't been a problem.

Baby boy is here and everything went great so we should be home in a day or so. Give me a call this weekend if you want.

Jeff

Rebar, I'm unsure if I posted my fix in another thread but I too wanted a remedy. I found that an appropriately sized set screw with a speck of sealant for good measure was quick, simple, neat and reversable. I had the set screws on hand from my model plane supplies. I did not pre-tap the hole and if I do it again, I will use a drop of CA glue to lock it in place and seal it.

Rebar, I'm unsure if I posted my fix in another thread but I too wanted a remedy. I found that an appropriately sized set screw with a speck of sealant for good measure was quick, simple, neat and reversable. I had the set screws on hand from my model plane supplies. I did not pre-tap the hole and if I do it again, I will use a drop of CA glue to lock it in place and seal it.

I dug through my RC stuff and found a few 4-40 set screws. The factory hole was the correct size for the tap!:eusa_dance:

Iv got some JB weld, but I was thinking red locktite so its reversible.

Yep, someone should make that a sticky! It is sper easy and quick and date I say , foolproof? Glad to be of help

What was the length of the 4-40 sets screws that you used? I would think Vibra-Tite or plumbers pipe dope for sealing natural gas lines would work equally well for sealing it up. A set screw with a ny-loc if you are worried about it backing out is also an option. The Vibra-Tite will take care of both issues though in one step! The product is Vibra-Tite VC-3 Threadmate. This is a thicker product than the loctites we all use. Here is a link to the product.

http://www.vibra-tite.com/files/Vibra-Tite-Line-Card.pdf

Todd

Last edited:
Do they sit flush with the surface so us early forkers would be able to slide the forks up in the triple trees?
Great mod and sticky worthy!

Do they sit flush with the surface so us early forkers would be able to slide the forks up in the triple trees?
Great mod and sticky worthy!

The set screws I have are just a touch long but fit flush. I figured they wont interfere with the preload tubing. Not sure yet , but wouldn't need to remove much of the set screw if any. They fit a bit loose. Not like a npt fitting.

Latest posts

Back