Poor man's "chromed" scoops

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonerdave

Reaction score
So as much as I wanted to I just couldn't come up with the couple hundred bucks it costs for chromed scoops. Since I'm already set up for powder coating, I decided to try out some 'Xtreme Chrome' powder. I'm very happy with the end result, but it is really not chromed. They are shinier (more mirror-like) than they look in the pics.

This is fresh out of the oven and before the clear coat:

IMG_8157.jpg

Apparently they will oxidize if u leave em like this so I added a second coat of high gloss clear powder. It made em a little more dull but at least they'll last:

IMG_8159.jpg

And then for the finishing touch...

IMG_8162.jpg

Anyway, like I said i like the way they turned out. Besides, chrome is for Harleys!!!

Dave, they look great to me! Great job on them - I think they look alot better than the stock ones do, nice upgrade!

Mike

Can't complain about those, looks great and gives options for other parts as well.:clapping:

Awesome job pics on the bike would be great. What is your powdercoating set up?

Hey thanks for the compliments. The letters are the vinyl inlays from Carrie (I think???) - link to her email is in the stickied thread.

I thought about doing them in blue, but I think the scoops ought to look like an engine component rather than a body panel (even though they aren't really). We'll see how she turns out once I get everything back together

Sweet Dave, They look great. I agree chrome don't get ya home. Nice finish. Santa brought me a kit, looking for an oven to get started. May be a home powder coating thread is an idea.
Steve

I like them better but I am not a chrome guy...

Good choice IMO and they won't show everything like chrome does.

Chris

:eusa_dance:Good job they look great,can't wait to see them on the bike.:punk::clapping:

I picked up an oven at a garage sale for 30 bucks and it works fine. Also invested in an IR thermometer, which is good because the oven is pretty far off. Actually i think all (older) ovens are pretty inaccurate. PC sub-forum is not a bad idea - I'd post pics of my 'Busa calipers.

BTW I am starting to get comfortable enough with the PC process that I might start offering amateur PCing for forum members. I would do it for tips (send item and enough cash for powder and return shipping, then donate whatever u think its worth to my hobby fund after you get it back). If its not worth anything at least I'll get some more experience. :biglaugh:

I picked up an oven at a garage sale for 30 bucks and it works fine. Also invested in an IR thermometer, which is good because the oven is pretty far off. Actually i think all (older) ovens are pretty inaccurate. PC sub-forum is not a bad idea - I'd post pics of my 'Busa calipers.
I would like to see pics of the 'busa calipers too Dave. How far did you have to take them apart to PC them? I'm thinking about having mine done, Hmmm...

Back