What is your job title

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: What do you do for a living?

I too am a new retiree, having worked 32 yrs as a chemist & project / product commercilization leader at a major chemical company headquarters in Midland, Michigan. ( no... not that one, the other one ! ) Prior to my chemistry career, worked as a Yamaha motorcycle & snowmobile mechanic at a Fenton, Mi. dealership. ( prior to the V-Max's debut )

HOLY CRAP! Fenton? My wife grew up in Byron and her uncle used to own a mechanics shop!

I get this feeling that most of us are tradesmen/women. of the dozen maxxers i met last summer they were all tradesmen of some sort.

Myself i am a Journeyman Plumber/Pipefitter. i specifically build new large commercial, or light industrial buildings. ive done everything from drainage to acid pipe to ultra high pressure gasses (1500 psi and up), ammonia, steam and water service, but mostly hot water heating (either steam or water). ive never unplugged a toilet. we call roto-rooter for that shit... at the moment im building a new steam station for the university or regina. mostly doing the cutting, fit up for the welder, and bolt up of flanges and valves. i am a proud Local 179 union man.

i enjoy my job and the quality of life it provides me is why i do it. going to work everyday is like a fun day at the park, my coworkers and apprentices are a blast to work with. Work is slowing down slightly but for now its still busy enough to not worry about layoffs. and that is what i do when im not riding the max...

first pic is a 6 inch diverter valve in a boiler room at a new rink
second pic is a boiler room retrofit in an old school
third pic is my welder and i fabbing up spools for the recent job
4th pic is my first steam station three years ago
5th and 6th pic, the three rows of piping is 1/3 of the station im doing now
enjoy...

peace,
evan...

Nice work! I used to be a pipefitter years ago! I always worked industrial construction. Fit many steam lines / acid lines etc.. but never much Vic fitting stuff.
Gannon

I worked for a company called Lubrizol. We made additives for gas, oil, transmission fluids, to many to list. Most people have never heard of the company because Lubrizol only delt with other chemical companies and oil companies.

Mechanical Engineer for an aerospace company in the Sacramento, CA area.

I am retired..............

12 years in the U.S.Army; did 3 tours in Viet Nam.
Got out of Army 1973. Attended college on G.I. Bill; Associate degree 1975, Bachelor's degree 1976, Master's degree l977.
Worked 2 years as an adult Probation & Parlole Officer; worked with teens for 21 years as a Rehabilitation Counselor.

Now I ride my 2 Vmaxs, I paddle a lot of rivers in solo canoes, and I am the designated "yard boy".
I love all 3 of those jobs. I do "damn little" that I don't want to do.
Life is good.

Jester 42

I'm the shop teacher you had in High School. I teach the kids all the things that thier dad's don't know how to do right. From using a file and hack saw to how run a lathe and mill---how to weld ( OAW, OAC, SMAW, GTAW). Still love it after all these years. It is truly amazing how very few students come into high school with absolutly no "shop" skills. But they are GREAT with a video game.

Lew

I get this feeling that most of us are tradesmen/women. of the dozen maxxers i met last summer they were all tradesmen of some sort.

Myself i am a Journeyman Plumber/Pipefitter. i specifically build new large commercial, or light industrial buildings. ive done everything from drainage to acid pipe to ultra high pressure gasses (1500 psi and up), ammonia, steam and water service, but mostly hot water heating (either steam or water). ive never unplugged a toilet. we call roto-rooter for that shit... at the moment im building a new steam station for the university or regina. mostly doing the cutting, fit up for the welder, and bolt up of flanges and valves. i am a proud Local 179 union man.

i enjoy my job and the quality of life it provides me is why i do it. going to work everyday is like a fun day at the park, my coworkers and apprentices are a blast to work with. Work is slowing down slightly but for now its still busy enough to not worry about layoffs. and that is what i do when im not riding the max...

first pic is a 6 inch diverter valve in a boiler room at a new rink
second pic is a boiler room retrofit in an old school
third pic is my welder and i fabbing up spools for the recent job
4th pic is my first steam station three years ago
5th and 6th pic, the three rows of piping is 1/3 of the station im doing now
enjoy...

peace,
evan...

Myself, i was Plumber/Pipefitter for a few years. i specifically built new power plants. ive done everything from drainage to acid pipe to ultra high pressure gasses, steam and water service as well. i have unplugged a toilet or two when there were no power plants being built or serviced. mostly i did the cutting, fit up and welded, i have bolted up of flanges and valves also. i was a proud Local 354 union man.

now, i work in the maintenance department at the University of Pittsburgh, Johnstown campus (UPJ). the sights are way better here than what was at the power plants....lol. i have been here for 6 years now and havent had to worry about a layoff once.

I've been a mechanic most of my life, working in small automotive shops to maintenance in a couple of corrugated paper plants, currently I service/repair ground equiptment for the airlines out at the Gerald R Ford Intl airport in Grand Rapids Mi, our shop is right off the ramp.................In my spare time my wife and I are independent buisiness owners and we market products online...................I also work out of my garage when I can doing automotive work and rebuilding automatic transmissions...............Tom.

I worked for a company called Lubrizol. We made additives for gas, oil, transmission fluids, to many to list. Most people have never heard of the company because Lubrizol only delt with other chemical companies and oil companies.
I work for Honeywell, specialty chemicals division.

I am a Project Manager and Senior Network Systems Engineer. I manage a small contract in the Federal Govt of 5 people. I am the lead engineer dealing with internet/network security, firewalls, fiber/network switches, routers, SAN devices, servers, robotics, etc.......the list goes on. I am like a go to guy here! Been with the same contracting firm for over 13 years now.

interesting thread i admit. i didnt imagine how many different people share the same love.
I am in the special operation unit in the Helenic coast guard. interesting job but not paying so well.

Attachments

• Picture0005.jpg
    Picture0005.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 7020_1227990708349_1486512892_639430_5674044_n.jpg
    7020_1227990708349_1486512892_639430_5674044_n.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 9328_1240252894896_1486512892_674017_5829623_n.jpg
    9328_1240252894896_1486512892_674017_5829623_n.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 14
  • n1486512892_279484_2936213.jpg
    n1486512892_279484_2936213.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 15
  • n1486512892_279487_1921506.jpg
    n1486512892_279487_1921506.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 13

got fired today,you may read about it someday,more to follow in a few months,but for now I need To SELL SOME SEATS!

naughtyG : Must be somebody's buying them.... :biglaugh:

I visited with your VMax today. I had to see Kyle about some jets for tuning my 89. It's still nice as ever... No more Stator Cover Leak....

Take Care of Yourself..
Dave in St. Pete.

i do software testing for a storage giant. might be transitioning to a different role soon though, same kind of work however.

got fired today,you may read about it someday,more to follow in a few months,but for now I need To SELL SOME SEATS!

shit man im' sorry to hear that.

Sorry to hear that.

Same here about month ago, use to work as industrial process engineer and was replaced with the cheaper fucker who dont have an idea what the hammer is but, his salary is a half of mine and hes like to move things haha :biglaugh:

Quick found a new one, third day today.
Got back to CNC.
Im an CNC & CAM software technical engineer.

Computer mechanic!
I do the setup, implementation and coordination of network equipment, user workstations/ work centers and special events. I also get to perform all the hands on work that the other departments think the I.T. Department should do. Audio? Oh, let's call I.T., 2 way Radios? again, call I.T.! I have even worked on golf simulators!

BIG letdown, Brian!
All this time I thought that you were a photographer for the Steelers, and that you took the photos of those "Steelers Babes" !
You were like a hero to me, man!

Back