Love my town

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJShover

Proud Vmax lover
Reaction score
Well its a great day, -30f, getting my school payments in order then time to straighten up the house.

I opened the garage door and took out the garbage. I looked down at the ground and saw some of the biggest moose tracks I've ever seen. then some tiny moose tracks about the size of my palm. I thought to myself how I didn't want to be caught between a mother and her little calf.

After placing the last trashbag down I heard a crunch and then I turned around, and about 5-6' away staring at me nose to nose there she was.

Now I'm well over 6'. The hump at the shoulder of her was as tall if not a little bit taller. She stood there not moving. I stood there hardly moving looking for the calf and an exit route all the wile paying attention to any signs of aggession from her.

She wiggled her ears, turned a little then stepped in the front yard and began snacking on some trees. I went in the garage and grabbed my camera and took a few pictures.

I have to say I've seen hundreds of moose with a good majority of them in my yard, but I love every encounter and makes me appretiate the town I live that gives me the opportunity to see the wildlife.

Attachments

• 1.11_moose_1.jpg
    1.11_moose_1.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 1.11_moose_2.jpg
    1.11_moose_2.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 1.11_moose_3.jpg
    1.11_moose_3.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 1.11_moose_4.jpg
    1.11_moose_4.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 61
Great pics ! I grew up in the country, and I sure miss it. You live in Heaven - Thanx for sharing...

KJ that moose was way cool.my son and I saw one about 15 years ago,steped over the gaurd rail like it wasnt even there.

check this out was taken about 500 yards through the woods behind my house.Ive spent alot of time in new england woods,seen the moose,coyote,fishercat,deer(killed some of those)rattle snakes,bear in my front yard(more then once), beaver,(most of us seem that) but i never saw one of these!

Attachments

• bobcat two.jpg
    bobcat two.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 44
KJ that moose was way cool.my son and I saw one about 15 years ago,steped over the gaurd rail like it wasnt even there.

check this out was taken about 500 yards through the woods behind my house.Ive spent alot of time in new england woods,seen the moose,coyote,fishercat,deer(killed some of those)rattle snakes,bear in my front yard(more then once), beaver,(most of us seem that) but i never saw one of these!

Sweet cat. There used to be a bobcat that ran around by the refinery in North Pole when I worked out there. I think someone snared it. It was pretty brave, would walk right up to you and mooch your lunch.

belive it or not(i have no pics) I caught one when i was about 14, didnt hold on for long ,but i caught one.(mom will verify)

just showed the lady the pics, she loved 'em. big animal lover.

Sweet looking Bobcat, they got 'em plenty in Texas although you'll rarely see one unless you spend long hours sitting still in a deer blind, or the ocassional night sighting...Beautiful animals, and they make a really nice mount although it's one animal I could never bring myself to shoot..seems kind of pointless, always got kind of sick when someone would show back up at deer camp with one...can't eat it, why shoot it?

Sweet looking pics KJ, thanks for posting, I've never seen a Moose, although I saw my first Elk with Shad last summer up in Wyoming....are they bigger than an Elk? Looks to be..?

are they bigger than an Elk? Looks to be..?

Yeah, they're the biggest of the deer family. The Alaskan/Yukon area moose are the largest. They're stading on average close to 7' at the shoulder with the males weighing in around 1500+lbs and the females going about 1100+lbs.

There was a world record that was taken back in 04-05 about 350 miles outside of Anchorage, that was about 2500 lbs and about 8 feet at the shoulder. I think Russia has the record now.

The cow that was visiting this morning was probably about 6'-7 at the shoulder and going in about 900ish lbs.

Things tend to get big up here. A while back a serviceman went hunting and shot a griz that was 1100+lbs and was 10' and some change from tip of his tail to the tip of his nose.

Not a record, but a big sumbitch. It caused all kinds of internet myths and was said to be much bigger than it was, they were also saying it was a forrestry worker that shot it (guns vary) but it was one of Alaska's military men.

Attachments

• grizzly-bear-1.jpg
    grizzly-bear-1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 20
  • grizzly-bear-2.jpg
    grizzly-bear-2.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 21
Went to my hometown in Adelaide Australia for Xmas and in my mothers backyard
I got a picture of a Koala which was just passing through.

Attachments

• 012 (Large).jpg
    012 (Large).jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 013 (Large).jpg
    013 (Large).jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 23
Back