Oil Filter Wrench Socket?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gee, a change every thousand. If I send you a milk carton, can you send me your used oil and filter? It'll save me a few bucks on my 35,000 mile 1990. Now if I can find a use for the brake fluid leaking out of my slave cylinder !:ummm:

Gee, a change every thousand. If I send you a milk carton, can you send me your used oil and filter? It'll save me a few bucks on my 35,000 mile 1990. Now if I can find a use for the brake fluid leaking out of my slave cylinder !:ummm:

Sorry PAT, can't do, I use it as bar oil in my chain saw! :biglaugh:

And if I was sure the DEC wouldn't catch me I'd douch that friggin' dirt road down with it too!!! :punk:

haha i like how a thread on an oil wrench socket turned into a discussion on turning a dirt road into a paved one using old motorcycle oil.... well done gentlemen....

entertaining nonetheless... keep it up!

Sorry gentlemen, spun off on a tangent...........dirt road pisses me off!

haha didn't bother me at all. my question got answered twice over so it was entertaining to watch..!

What makes this forum so great is that we aren't hammered and edited to death strictly enforcing people to only stay on the exact topic.
Threads wonder that's what they do.
And that's what makes people keep coming back for more.

On that note... I only use my hand to tighten my oil filter. And I've never had any problems.

I use this filter wrench:
img1932za6.jpg

img1933ob6.jpg

img1934bz4.jpg

I think it cost about 15 bucks at Sears.

I just put the torque wrench on it and tighten. Last oil change, I did put it on hand tight, and then used the torque wrench. I was surprised at how much more I had to tighten the filter to get it to the correct spec torque.

However, once I get past the 600 mile I will start using the KN-303 filter since my Brutale 910 takes the same filter and I have quite the stockpile of them.

Edit: This is written for the 09 Vmax in mind. So your filter model may be different.

Last edited:
I use this filter wrench:
img1932za6.jpg

img1933ob6.jpg

img1934bz4.jpg

I think it cost about 15 bucks at Sears.

I just put the torque wrench on it and tighten. Last oil change, I did put it on hand tight, and then used the torque wrench. I was surprised at how much more I had to tighten the filter to get it to the correct spec torque.

However, once I get past the 600 mile I will start using the KN-303 filter since my Brutale 910 takes the same filter and I have quite the stockpile of them.

Edit: This is written for the 09 Vmax in mind. So your filter model may be different.

looks to be similar to whats offered online. they are all over ebay for $10 plus some cheap shipping as well...

looks to be similar to whats offered online. they are all over ebay for $10 plus some cheap shipping as well...

Watch out for the cheapie plastic ones. I had one that broke the first time I used it! :damn angry:

Watch out for the cheapie plastic ones. I had one that broke the first time I used it! :damn angry:

good to know thanks man. i have yet to change a spin-on filter for a vmax, so i have some strap wrenches i was just going to go until it touched and then a full turn like lankee and danny have used w/out problems....

Just for reference the torque spec for the oil filter..per the service manual..is 13 ft. lbs.
I'll check that at the next change...seems pretty tight....:confused2:

Just for reference the torque spec for the oil filter..per the service manual..is 13 ft. lbs.
I'll check that at the next change...seems pretty tight....:confused2:

13 foot pounds isn't much. thats a good hearty twist with a strap wrench... like i said i'm not sure how much it grabs as a spin on once it touches though...

i'd be interested with someone with a torque wrench and adapter see how much 13 ft lbs is as far as turns past the friction point. is that torque setting different for different filters i wonder?

I live on a dirt road which gets pretty dusty. I hate it but there's no chance of the town paving it so every ride begins and ends on the dirt! :biglaugh:
Hmmm, dirt road to Danny's? :eek: May have to seriouly consider:a014: whether I want to subject my pampered Redbone:peace out bike: to the ravages of riding her down a dirt road:th_scared:.....but I'm sure the lure of brownies at the end of said dirt road will alter my thinking once I arrive.;) My taste buds will take over like normal and Redbone will just have to cope with the dirt!:biglaugh:
Mmmm brownies!:drool:

Hmmm, dirt road to Danny's? :eek: May have to seriouly consider:a014: whether I want to subject my pampered Redbone:peace out bike: to the ravages of riding her down a dirt road:th_scared:.....but I'm sure the lure of brownies at the end of said dirt road will alter my thinking once I arrive.;) My taste buds will take over like normal and Redbone will just have to cope with the dirt!:biglaugh:
Mmmm brownies!:drool:

That's great iconery Brian!!:thumbs up: The dirt road is .7 mile from the pavement, and pretty wel packed down so there isn't a lot of dust. But it's still dirt, and needs to be mentioned.:teeth angry:
But the brownies, man................Oooo the brownies!!! They'll be worth it!:clapping:

Oh yeah, the thread.....I have a selection of filter wrenches we can look over that weekend. :th_party39:

The good filter "sockets" have a metal insert where the wrench inserts like the one in the picture. The cheap ones are all plastic and WILL break or the hole will round out.

Here's a pic of my oil filter wrench. I also use it as a beer bottle opener or as a Britney Spears stunt double on lonely nights...:biglaugh:

Attachments

• Oil filter wrench (Medium).jpg
    Oil filter wrench (Medium).jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 13
The 09 calls for 17nm (12.5392ft/lb) or 12ft/lb in the manual.
So the 13ft/lb for the Gen 1 sounds about right.

I have had that filter wrench for years with no issues.
After years of Italian bikes, I torque EVERYTHING to spec. There are parts on my Brutale that if they don't get torqued to spec it will destroy the bike. (Like the rear hub.)

I never really worried about torquing stuff on my other VMaxes. But that was another life.

Latest posts

Back