The Vmax seat thread! The all seat thread!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What i did was pull the staples and peel back cover ' cut straight down 'where seat meats pop up piece and cut it lower and inch 'and feather it to nothing forward which widens it and inch on each side 'day and night difference 'now i sit on my butt not my thighs !!!!!! very comfy and i silconed it so it takes up slack ' staples cover back on . looks FACTORY. i did it at 30.000 k i wish i would have done it at 3 k

OK, here goes...

(this one should start a few 'flames', but the truth does NEED to be told...)

First of all, the SportMax was the original; the rest are copies of that design.

Secondly, we completely replace the stock foam in front & rear seats
with high-density foam, (unlike the copiers, who simply shave the stock foam)
which is superior to the stock foam in durability, comfort and shape retention.

The biggest benefit of a SportMax seat (& the copies) is that you sit on your butt, instead of the inside of your thighs, so blood flow & nerve control is not pinched,
and your legs don't go numb within an hour or so of riding...
Lower center of gravity(better handling), back support from the center pad,
and better visibility for your passenger are all lesser benefits as well...

SportMax seats take ALOT of time to get,

(our guy is NOT fast; he IS good.)

and there is STILL a waiting list,

(much shorter than it used to be, Thank Goodness...)

FOR A REASON...
They ARE worth the wait.
Ask someone riding on one.

(5000+ & counting...)

The original...or something else...

Your choice.

'Nuff said.

John
RMSportMax

PS. For those of you with shorter inseams, DO NOT be deceived.
The Corbin may LOOK lower, but the 1st time you put your feet down,
and that wide, stiff seat spreads your legs waaay out,
you will realize, too late, that it does not do what you wanted it to do...
Put your legs more firmly on the ground. Word to the wise here...

Be careful what you say John. I've got a few emails and documents from way back that may dispute your claim to being the first out there and not a copy (at least I think I still have them). We made our first seat well before I saw or heard about yours.

I imagine there are comparisons in here for all the seat makers so lets let them make thier own judgements. After all, there are only so many ways to make a seat.

We prefer the OEM foam over the aftermarket stuff (and those trading in your seats to me must like it as well). Again, to each thier own. We add foam to our rear seats for those wanting the extra cushion. Again, it's a preference. I prefer ours and I am sure you prefer yours. Some customers like yours and some like mine. Simple as that and no real reason to argue.

You are correct, the corbins as is suck, but we rectify that easily enough.

Sean Morley

so ya um, saw Green Bay get smoked last night!..... anyways just got my corbin couple days ago put a couple hundred on it! man it sure is comforitable compared to the stock seat for sure. never sat on the other 2 but they are right, it is wide. not so easy to put you feet down and does not allow me to shift my weight as easy like my stock seat. i have to move over 2wice the distance to get my ass bone lower and off the seat. but comfortable for sure. gas is easier to get to and seems to be well made and with high quality leather. -Rob-

Lots of excellent seat alternatives out there for the VMax. I suggest researching the Vendor info thread in order to find answers about customer satisfaction prior to purchasing a VMax product.

Good luck,

Blaine

What do i need to do to post pics of my seat here for opinions?

John, how about an update on your bike and you? Hope you're up and around, OK.

Thanx for asking; I'm doing fine (95%+ recovered)

I'm currently in WARM, SUNNY AZ, visiting 'Chromie',
& riding a real 'find' for me;
a low mileage 1994 GTS1000;
I'm LOVING IT!!!

The B'King I was riding was torn in 2,

(had put less then 100 miles on it-less then 750 total-what a waste...)

and that one is now in pieces somewhere, but I replaced it with a new one, aa well as a Velocity turboed, stretched, big-tire 'T-King', & I'm ready to stack either of these up against either stock OR modified 'New Coke' VMAXes...
Let's DANCE!!!...lol

Have stayed pretty busy with 'Classic' VMAXes & parts; if I had to pick a time to get hurt, earlier this year would be the time; things got busier, later in the year, & I am grateful for it!

A BIG Thank You to all of my VMAX buds,
who called, e-mailed, & kept abreast of my progress
thruout this interesting & challenging year.
Your prayers & 'get-wells' were PRICELESS.

THANX again, & Gold Bless, one & all, in 2010!

John
RMSportMax.com
610-509-VMAX(8629)
:eusa_dance:

(quote)Be careful what you say John. I've got a few emails and documents from way back that may dispute your claim to being the first out there and not a copy (at least I think I still have them). We made our first seat well before I saw or heard about yours.

(Reply)This is what I DO know; there was no talk of any Morley seats until AFTER the fiasco with Exactrap asking to carry OUR seats, then conspiring with you to offer 'copies', and discredit our seats, and all this happened
many YEARS after we started offering seats...

In 1997, when we went online with our seats, there was NOTHING but Corbin to compare with...
(don't remember ANYONE discussing ANY other seats then...I could be wrong, but I dont' think so.)
We were making SportMax seats for YEARS before that.
(Online simply made our product more visible...)

(quote)I imagine there are comparisons in here for all the seat makers so lets let them make thier own judgements.

(Reply)Shawn, you have been free with YOUR own assessments here for quite some time, so I think it more than fair for us to offer ours as well.

(quote)We prefer the OEM foam over the aftermarket stuff (and those trading in your seats to me must like it as well).

(Reply)Now THAT would be just plain silly, seeing as we have had a money-back guarantee on our products for YEARS...I also find it highly doubtful that someone would be "trading in" their seats, seeing what USED SportMax seats bring on EBay, and the FACT that we have had a waiting list of 20-25+ people for 3-4 years+ now...THANKFULLY, the list has decreased to single digits, since the "New Coke" Max arrived; & wait times have been cut from 6 months + to 2-3 months...Denny is NOT fast, but he IS good, and WORTH THE WAIT. I must admit, however, we likely have lost many customers, to you, UFO, Mustang, & others, because they were unwilling to wait; THAT is a shame, for both us & the customer, and for that I DO apologize...We have tried other suppliers, to help speed things along, but couldn't get the same quality...There have been times where I sold the seat off my personal MAXes, and was left waiting as well...Bottom line: (echoed by MANY happy SportMax customers) IT WAS worth the wait!

(quote)Again, to each thier own. We add foam to our rear seats for those wanting the extra cushion. Again, it's a preference. I prefer ours and I am sure you prefer yours. Some customers like yours and some like mine. Simple as that and no real reason to argue.

(Reply)Not trying to argue, Shawn, just doing my best to make things CLEAR,
for those who ARE making the decision for the 1st time...
They DESERVE to know the FACTS.
ALL the facts.

I stand by my statement; we were the 1st, the 1st online, and the 1st, & STILL the ONLY ones (that I know of anyway...) to offer complete front & rear repadding, with high-density foam SUPERIOR to stock, rather than simply cutting & reshaping stock foam..(which is MUCH cheaper to do...)

(quote)You are correct, the corbins as is suck, but we rectify that easily enough.

(Reply)Cut away on those Corbins...Not interested in doing any of that...
(ANYTHING would be a vast improvement...)
We have some of these at the shop as well...
Want some more to cut up?
We are happy making SportMax seats.

John
RMSportMax.com
610-509-VMAX(8629)
:eusa_dance:

All opinons are welcome here of course (and this is not MY thread). Yes, your seats do bring good money on ebay most of the time and I tell that to those few customers we get trading them in (it's not all that often we see them anyway and not all that often they go on ebay either). But, then they have to buy another core which eats up a lot of what they would have saved and most just don't want to mess with it.

Again, hopefully more guys can give fair comparisons of all the seat brands on here. We don't see many UFO seats and the other brands are even rarer. I've never discouraged ANYONE from telling their opinions of anything. I don't even try to hide any negative information I receive (but of course when there really isn't any that's easy to do).

You for sure were prior to me online by a big amount. I didn't even start the business until 2004 officially but we made our first seat sometime back in 1988-1989 so I would bet that's not much before you did your first one (but hey who knows - that leaves you a 4 year time potential before me). Got into the motor on that bike 2 times the first year in 89 (spun bearing at 150 miles and broke crank at 1000).

I think I have their emails somewhere. We were already doing the seats at that time and someone overseas saw a picture of ours which looked similar to theirs and yours (as noted there is only so many ways of doing it). BUT, they had the heat embossed logo into the seat which we had (and still do) the stiched logo. Again, we had already been doing them well before that. I don't really know what happened to that deal. All they wanted was someone to refer people too when they got a U.S. customer since they didn't want to ship overseas.

In 97 the only Vmax guy online was Holeshot (Dale Walker).

As noted, you like your refoam and I like the modified OEM foam. Of course the rear needs refoamed (we actually add foam) to make it wider for the better seating surface. Again, only so many ways to do it.

The Corbins suck to do, though we do still offer it and will continue to do so. They are much better when done but nothing I would tell a customer to go buy so we could modify. If they have one, we work with it to make it much improved. They still have the widest passenger seating surface of anyones out there.

All that aside. I think you'd be hard pressed to find where I have said anything negative about you or the company, and would like to think of you as a fellow businessman, rider, and friend. I am glad to see you are back on the saddle again.

You are still the person I refer to for the heavy duty driveshafts when people are interested in those or our extended swingarms. Of course I did have one of them go bad (we discussed this at one point) but I think I can break anything LOL. I do like them but I am now wondering if they aren't too strong (shredded two cases which I think the shaft would have broken and saved if it would have been stock diameter). But, that's for another area to discuss.

Sean

What do i need to do to post pics of my seat here for opinions?

Here ya go bud... this is nice. Saw it in person

picture.php

picture.php
http://www.vmaxforum.net/picture.php?albumid=319&pictureid=2434

well yea when you WORK at mustang ya gotta have a trick seat!

well yea when you WORK at mustang ya gotta have a trick seat!

Right.... we need to get Rick to convince his boss to start making seats for the vmax. Lots of old seats out there, would be a good market for them.

Here ya go bud... this is nice. Saw it in person

picture.php

picture.php

VERY nice looking seat indeed!!!
(I take it, from the looks of it, that it's based off a Corbin shell, correct?)
If that works as well as it looks, it should be sweet!

(If Corbin had made a seat looking like that, back in early 1993, SportMax seats would likely never have come about...THANX Mike C., for being so stubborn...!!!...LOL)

BTW, Shawn, ask Cory Frost, a MAXer from UT, our 1st webguy, & the ORIGINAL VMOA webmaster, WHEN the SportMax website, with just a few products-INCLUDING the seat- came online...
It was May 1997 (I remember...I was there...lol)
I THINK Dale W. & HoleShot were online already by then...

Are you positive you HAD a computer out there in '97, Shawn???...
Not kidding, or trying to be smart here...
There just weren't THAT many PCs, or IPs for that matter,
when we built our 1st website...
We were already linked with the VMOA. when you found them...
If my memory serves me correctly, we linked up when Clint Hooper,
the founder, was still in charge...Remember THAT?

OK, enough history...(make my head hurt!...lol)

John
VMOA #75
RMSportMax.com
610-509-VMAX(8629)

Back