new tire = speed wobble

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L.T.Stone

Reaction score
I always heard of the vmax and the dreaded high speed wobble, I had Metzler marathons on front and back and never had the speed wobble and I have had the bike wide open a handful of times when I replaced the front tire with a dunlop qualifier I now get the wobble at about 180km/h. I don't really care as I don't need to go that fast but I just thought I would post my experience.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this info. I've had Dunlop on the front without a wobble in the past. But I know others have had problems.
For right now, all my Yamaha's have Metzler's. The Sportster only runs 120 MPH :biglaugh: It has Dunlop front and rear...

I always heard of the vmax and the dreaded high speed wobble, I had Metzler marathons on front and back and never had the speed wobble and I have had the bike wide open a handful of times when I replaced the front tire with a dunlop qualifier I now get the wobble at about 180km/h. I don't really care as I don't need to go that fast but I just thought I would post my experience.

There are lots of threads on tires(and oil) here. Check them out then decide. I think we've scrutinized every tire made here. When you buy a tire you need to ask, how long do they last, Traction, cost? Do they fit?

Yeah, I know there has been alot of discussion about this kind of stuff and i'm not complaining about the tire either I just thought I'd mention something I experienced first hand. I must say I like the look of the tire though :)

Yeah and if your getting a bias ply it's hard to beat the Metzler 880's both performance and life. And for me they were wobble free.

Yeah, I know there has been alot of discussion about this kind of stuff and i'm not complaining about the tire either I just thought I'd mention something I experienced first hand. I must say I like the look of the tire though :)
I like the looks of the Dunlop too, but not the grip. I think your wobble could be due to another reason though. Never had a wobble prob with the 2 sets I've owned.
Steve

Of all the things in this life that are hard to obtain....the perfect woman....the winning lottery ticket....I think the solution to "The V Max Wobble" is by far the most illusive. :bang head::punk::bang head:

Of all the things in this life that are hard to obtain....the perfect woman....the winning lottery ticket....I think the solution to "The V Max Wobble" is by far the most illusive. :bang head::punk::bang head:

heavy man, HEAVY hahahaha but soo true:punk:

Well if I'm playing baseball or forecasting the weather , 1 out of 3 ain't bad . ( From : Chief Radial Wobblenohave )

The Tire pressure is good, I noticed a difference in low speed handling right away, the dunlop felt narrower and like I was "balancing"the bike more. The Metzler felt wider and "heavier" and if I rode with one hand or slowed down at lower speeds it would shake madly yet at speed it was straight as an arrow. of course it was bad and had to be changed so thats probly why I got the shake. The Dunlop feels more nimble but at a good speed or slowing down in a fast corner its wobbly . These are very nitpicky and extreme observations. I don't race and like I said before i'm new and am just stating some observations I have noticed first hand.

Oooh. I just saw this. The service manual shows taking all kinds of stuff off the bike before you do this. Hell, Sean makes it easy. My max has needed this for a while and I finished it in less than 10 minutes taking my time. Thanks Sean. Thanks DMAN999 for posting it. Thanks to this forum for help like this. Now if it were that easy to do the valve check and adjustment. :clapping: GP

I noticed the same "shake" with my shinko front. Though it does not feel life threatening I don't like it. The original bridgestone front was fine though. My steering head bearings are good and I have new progressive springs in the front. The shinko tire is properly balanced and I've tried tire pressure from 30-36psi but it still fells a bit "squirrely" in the bends at speed. The rear shinko is great though it is already showing it's age after 3500 miles. I will probably splurge for me880's or the newer bridgestones for my next set.

I am running me 880's and if I run 36 in the front tire I get a slight wobble 38 to 40 psi very stable. ( no way to tell how accurate my gauge is )

i I RUN ME 880'S ALSO , BUT ONLY 30LBS AND 30LBS , NO WOBBLES FOR ME ! . :confused2:

I had MAJOR wobbles with Dunlop Qualifiers (mostly worn) and shot steering bearings.

New head bearings and a pair of new Shinkos cured it, although having had the death wobble a few too many times, I never wanted to hang about over 130mph for too long...

I've had tires start to run out and crack when they got old. Shinko's especially, they stick and ride great, dry or wet, when they are NEW. It was my wobble cause for sure. Shinkos are cheap, but short lived. One season, and in the trash can they go, their not for everybody that's for sure. Bearings are checked on a regular basis. Every 5 k for me.Sometimes a minor adjustment, sometimes none.
Steve

Back