Thunder 2013 - Will You Be There?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have fun gang.... Sorry will miss this year....gonna try for next year. Can't wait to see the burnout lol

If we participate in the dyno session, do we get a chance to tune between pulls or is it just 3 pulls back to back?

Trying to decide if I do the ride with vmax mike or hit the dyno.

uploadfromtaptalk1371775259116.jpg

Almost ready to roll tomorrow. Ill be down hopefully before 9!

When is the dyno pull??? And can we tune??? Should I bring my stuff or are we just talking HP and TQ reading??

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

You won't even get your best HP pull for probably 5-8 consecutive pulls.

Some pics from my junk camera phone!

Attachments

• thunder 002.jpg
    thunder 002.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 34
  • thunder 003.jpg
    thunder 003.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 31
  • thunder 004.jpg
    thunder 004.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 32
  • thunder 006.jpg
    thunder 006.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 33
  • thunder 008.jpg
    thunder 008.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 37
  • thunder 009.jpg
    thunder 009.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 45
  • thunder 010.jpg
    thunder 010.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 43
  • thunder 011.jpg
    thunder 011.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 38
Just got home safe and sound. From my house to my house on the vmax 1,313 mi. I call that a good ride. :punk:

My Rear wheel locked up at about 65-70 mph last night on my way home from riding up for the day. WTF

Just got home from thunder. We had great weather and lots of good rides. The banquet was great as always. Thanks to Sean Morley for all the great prizes. I won a gift certificate for 50.00 off a clear clutch cover or 100.00 off a set of clear covers. Thinking i will go for the full set. Great people and great fun. Also when reserving my room for next year the dates the hotel had were the wrong dates. The right dates are from June 25 through the 29. So if you made your reservations for next year please call the hotel and change accordingly.

Ed what happws with the rear wheel? Was your son with you when it happened. And I don't want to assume, but are you ok?

Todd

Ps it was a pleasure having dinner with you guys.

Sorry to her that ed hope you get it fixed soon. I made it home safe and took a big nap. The food was great ed and i also had to take care of that when i got home. Lol. Lee sent me pic today and i gess its official that im apart of the broken driveshaft club.

Attachments

• PART951372014314109.jpg
    PART951372014314109.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 30
Ed what happws with the rear wheel? Was your son with you when it happened. And I don't want to assume, but are you ok?

Todd

Ps it was a pleasure having dinner with you guys.

Todd, that was the single scariest thing that ever happened to me. Other than almost watching that asshole pass my son earlier and almost kill him. We were just cruising about 65-70 and just as I was coming up on a service plaza my rear wheel locked up solid. My son was behind me and he said he thought he was watching me die. Holy Shit! I just fought like a sonofabitch to keep it up and from throwing me off and just as I almost stopped it let loose for a second then locked up again. Clutch, no clutch it didn't matter. Even in neutral it wouldn't budge. We had to lift the rear wheel to inch it off the road and after working backward then forward it let loose again. Jesse said it sounded like its coming from the final drive but I'm not sure. I'll tear it apart in a day or so and hopefully its not my transfer case that was just redone. I'm fine, was pretty shook up but VERY happy I fought hard enough to keep it from killing my ass. Has anyone ever heard of this happening ? We sat there for a good 2-3 hrs trying to figure out how to get home when my son ask a family that pulled in if they could help and they were nice enough to help us lift it into a uhaul they had and drove about 40 miles out of their way to bring me and my bike home. With Jesse following. Thank god they showed up cause I woulda slept there in the grass if I had to before I would have left it there. I finally got home about 4 Am. I'm starting to think either me or my bike is cursed. But other than all that. It was really nice to meet you, Brian, Mike and all the others who were so cool and friendly to my son and even he said "those Vmax guys are alot cooler than I expected" and I told him. Yea, we are a breed all our own. He even mentioned getting one but said he'd keep his Harley too. So, again, glad I'm alive to write this but DAMN! WTF!!!!

Last edited:
I'm glad your years of riding came to good use,but as much as you don't want to hear it I think that bike is trying to tell you something..........................................It wants a big brother.
It was I nice to meet your son, I know the feeling of rolling down the rd with your boy on his bike next to you,and to do the miles he did on THAT bike means he's on his way to hard core, (that's a good thing)
Good luck with the bike!

Thanks Rick, and honestly I talked with my son today and we both kinda said that even though we had serious issues and problems than ANYONE would want, that's all part of riding a bike and being a biker is. I got to do something with my son that I know I never got to do with my dad. He's a good kid and that's still a good day that coulda been ALOT worse. But, Damn, I still havn't paid off the last issue with this damn thing and is why I couldn't afford to stay overnight but, I think once I get caught up I gotta look into a more rideable Vmax. I've gone above and beyond with this one and I've put my heart into keeping it immaculate. I don't get why I can't get this damn thing to be a bike I can take out for the day, and I NEVER do burnouts, wheelies or speed shift and it still has problems. I'm not giving up on it but WTF! I mean, Christ!, I even named my youngest son Max. I'll never sell it but why can't I get this damn thing to be a bike I don't have to have a fucking support system following me if I want to take a ride. Most would give up but I'm not most. I ask Scott and he said he NEVER had any issues with his. And he has an even bigger rear tire. I really am at a loss and just rambling now I think... Sorry, just glad all the years of aggressive riding dirt and street( on other bikes) paid off by being able to control that little incident and I'm ok. I'll know when I get it apart if I'm done for the year. AGAIN. Like I said WTF.

Home from thunder had a blast with all you guys. Wish I could be there longer. :( clutch is slipping nut I think its my master I'm ordering a rebuild kit tomorrow hopefully it didn't take to much life off the plate. We need more and more maxes I spread the word about VMOA and the forum every time I run into a new maxer.

Custom your bike didn't want to ride this weekend! Glad your ok tho that is one thing I'm scared off thought of it on the way down were my front sprocket was smoking I couldn't get the rear tire locking up off my mind. But I found it was just oil seaping out of shifter seal on my exhaust wrap.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Glad your ok. When you get it apart, shoot me some pictures via email. Maybe a new fresh set of eyes can help you out with this.

Donnelly317, sorry I didnt get to talk to you a little more. I wanted to check out your bike a little more. But due to the unfortunate happenings I was a little scattered here and there.

Todd

Custom Max, maybe the thing to do is to sell it for parts, as that seems to be the way to make the most $, & take-off your custom stuff, and look for another bike. There are lots of low-miles bikes out there in the $5-6K range, and less-$ bikes w/more miles.

I'm glad you got the thing wrestled to the curb w/o spilling it. I had a similar occurrence years-ago, on a KZ1000, my transmission mainshaft output bearing behind the front sprocket decided to totally-fracture its outer race circumferentially. I was about to get on I-95 in Ft. Lauderdale, it was a foggy morning, and it happened about 7:30 a.m. not 500 ft. from the expressway entrance. If I had been doing 65+ mph on the interstate when it happened, who knows what the outcome would have been? Much-worse, I'm sure!

Do a cost-benefit analysis: how much to return it to operational capacity, how much for it as parts, how much to buy a replacement? I've learned sometimes you need to cut your losses and start again.

There is a '92 for sale by me, a shop run by someone I know, it was $4K, he's had it on the floor for awhile, it's down to $2500 asking now, it looks clean. I haven't seen it in-person, but since he lowered to price just recently, I was going to stop-by and see it. Here's his ad: http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcd/3881132137.html That's probably as-low as you can get a bike in decent shape.

On another note, I get from the comments the rider, Sheldon, who was injured, wasn't wearing a helmet? Regardless of "he was/wasn't," a sad story. I won't go a mile on my bike w/o an armored jacket, helmet and armored gloves, and boots. That's partly because of my profession, what I have seen, and what I have experienced (never a personal crash w/o a helmet, thank God, because I always wear one, even if I'm on my bicycle). ICU here is about $1000/hour in south FL. As a patient, to cross the threshold of the Level 1 trauma center closest to my home (where I take EMT and paramedic students-in-training for their hospital clinicals) it's $10,000. A Level 1 trauma center is the highest level of trauma care that you can get.

Back